Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Welcome to Grumpy Groupies!!! This group is open to every one. I hope that all my buddies will join and use it often. Sad or happy, NO discussion is taboo. I do ask that you use Trigger in the title when necessary. Hopefully we can have fun and also support those who are having a hard time. Muahs
    controversial discussions
    bpcookie posted:
    I thought this would be a good place to have controversial discussions that effect those with a mental illness or any other controversial discussions, since this community has a *No Topic Is Taboo* policy. Please feel free to be open with your thoughts but also be respectful to others opinions.
    When all else fails, go Bipolar all over their azzes!!

bpcookie responded:
    Ok, I will be the first to start one off.

The new bill:
    Mental Health Checks When Purchasing a Gun

What ever happened to *innocent until proven guilty*?

So we are considered dangerous just because of our mental illness?

Who decides who is mentally ill?

Many of these mentally ill criminals who commit crimes involving weapons are not known as being mentally ill until after the crime is committed.

The second amendment of the constitution says "The right to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed".

davedsel2 replied to bpcookie's response:
    Hi, Cookie.

I agree. The government has no business in knowing what my health conditions are. I also fully agree with what you said about the second amendment.

The government seems to be finding more ways to control us and become "Big Brother" as in George Orwell's book "1984".

Speaking of government control: IMHO, talking on a cell phone while driving your car is no more of a distraction than talking to your passengers. How many of us with children would turn and reprimand them when needed as we were driving? I do believe texting and driving do not mix, but not talking on the cell phone.

bpcookie replied to davedsel2's response:
    I agree about the cell. I usually have no problems talking to someone and driving. I NEVER txt while driving. Thats a big no no

mercygive replied to bpcookie's response:
    Hi Cookie,

This law is deceptive about firearm control. Private industry can profit from this law. What is to stop the insurance companies to require owners to insure their firearms (don't know if they do already) and raise the insurance rates for gun ownership and car insurance for those who have mental illness health records. This kind of censorship is just the beginning for something larger. [br> [br>

dibbits0530 responded:
    Hey all

Lots of questions here. The idea of controlling firearms or as it may, weapons is older than Father Abraham. Totalitarian efforts are already underway in this country. Controlling weapons only means they go underground. It is easy enough to hide whatever you need to. Just don't store things where they will go to look. I'm a klutz so I'd shoot my for off before a firearm would be any good to me. The purpose of Totalitarian society is relief from great of society. Itc also is conceived from paranoia.

Mental Illness is a varied as the snow flakes that fall in winter. Most mental illnesses are behavioral anomalies caused by internal and external environmental issues. Virtually every person to ever exist will suffer a mental illness in their life. Those who are stuck with it, normally are more intuitive then others. They ate more in touch with their one self. Those who commit crimes normally suffer some form of mental illness. It is just latent. The crime exposes the person's need to become exposed and find help. Unfortunately, most incarcerated criminals are never helped. Some just cannot handle society.

david
    take from each day, all that is comes your way - then return, only the very best that you are

mellyagain replied to bpcookie's response:
    For me, it isn't about firearm control so much as it is type. There is absolutely no reason for any general citizen to own military grade, high caliber weapons, IMO. And what actually needs more control than anything else is ammunition. Every one of these mass shootings where the guy/girl has a mental illness bought a stockpile of ammo right before. A gun doesn't kill people. People kill people. I have never ever had a homicidal thought that wouldn't pass through a "normal" mind occassionally. Suicidal, yep, but I would never take anyone with me if I followed through. And knowing me, if I chose a gun, I would somehow permanently maim myself and live to tell about it anyway.

This new law is a violation of our right to bear arms. And it is most definately about money. We could never legally own a weapon if we wanted with this for protection. I've been to a crisis center, it would show. Would I use it other than to protect my family? Not in a million years.

mellyagain replied to bpcookie's response:
    The cell phone thing to me is also a real contention. I agree. Talking to someone on the phone is no less distracting than talking to a passenger. Texting needs to be banned on the roads. What I want to know is how they are going to enforce this all considering the average vehicle comes equipped with wifi and internet connection. People are connecting to facebook while they are driving these days!

And where is the ban for putting makeup on in the car? Huh? Lol

bpcookie replied to mercygive's response:
    WOW!!! So true! Snow ball effect

davedsel2 replied to mellyagain's response:
    I never put makeup on in the car. I just don't think that is right.

LOL

bpcookie replied to mellyagain's response:
    When Obama first started talking about different weapons bills, wanting to find a way to out law the sale of guns and limit ammo sales, he started a panic. Ppl. started loading up on ammo and every single week, the shelves were emptied of ammo. So it caused the opposite affect that Obama wanted.

Im not kidding either. When ever the delivery day was for ammo, there was a major line of ppl waiting to buy it. Then poof, with in minutes, ammo gone. Shelve bare.

davedsel2 replied to davedsel2's response:
    If I did put on makeup, here is how I would look. At least it is how I looked for Halloween 1980.

dibbits0530 replied to mellyagain's response:
    I just recently began driving again after an eight year hiatus. If I want to place a call, I press the voice control on the stressing wheel and make a call. If a call comes in, I answer it.

david
    take from each day, all that is comes your way - then return, only the very best that you are

davedsel2 responded:
    Sorry I digressed and added a bit of levity to the discussion.

Gun control is a major, controversial subject and IMHO is not currently being properly done.

Should we really all get mad and talk about health care in this country? What a joke.

Have a blessed and thankful Thursday, friends.

bpcookie replied to davedsel2's response:
    ROFL Daved, I' so glad that you don't put make up on in the car because it would be really dangerous for all the drivers around you, not because of your driving but because all the other drivers would be staring at you. lol

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Brittney. I love WebMD.. I got addicted to it at work because it was the only website I could access. Now, it's all I WANT to access! I...More

Helpful Tips

real useable smilies part 1
    these will knock your socks off. snowy finally got her drooling smilie! copy the url below. click on add image above the posting window. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 42 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.