Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Welcome to Grumpy Groupies!!! This group is open to every one. I hope that all my buddies will join and use it often. Sad or happy, NO discussion is taboo. I do ask that you use Trigger in the title when necessary. Hopefully we can have fun and also support those who are having a hard time. Muahs
    Cute Animal Photos
    bpcookie posted:

When all else fails, go Bipolar all over their azzes!!

mellyagain responded:
    Please don't get me started on this one. Remember I work in an animal shelter. The photos I can post are sweet and cute and so heartbreaking at the same time. I can post ASPCA quality photos of some of our babies. Btw, I am immune to those commercials now.

bpcookie replied to mellyagain's response:
    I can't watch them. They haunt me and I can't get them out of my head

mellyagain replied to bpcookie's response:
    when you deal with it, see the worst of people...you harden against it. I can also tell you that if you donate to the ASPCA or Humane Society (national) your money is paying salaries of executives. You are much better off sponsoring a sick animal in a local facility so the money is used to care for those animals.

For example, our local Humane Society will not take in a stray adult dog. Period. If they take them, they are transferred to the county kill shelter. They want pretty puppies and cute only dogs or high profile abuse cases. That's it. All of the rest...the ones with hair loss because of fleas or demadex (form of mange) or heartworm positive....they come to our shelter. It is sad. We are directly connected to Animal Control so we see the worst of the worst. The emaciated. The hit by a car or even thrown out dogs. Even the old dogs no one wants anymore because they require medical care or they just don't want to watch them die. The fighting dogs. But in the end, they are just all animals to love. And I do my best to see the soul of the animal, what is in their eyes, and love them all to the best of my abilities. Most times, I acknowledge the condition of the animal, but I just see the cat or dog.

Your a special kind of person to do what you do. I used to be a volunteer fir an animal rescue group. I would take in dogs, foster them with the hopes of them finding a home. The senior dogs I decided to adopt. I had 10 dog of my own and would also have 5 to 10 foster dogs on top of that. I also rescued cats, birds, hamsters,........you name it. But I can't do that any more. I can't bare the thought of those poor animals. I can't harden myself any more.

It is difficult. We are doing construction of our welcoming lobby and omg, what a mess the alternative is. On Saturday I saw so much bad, it was not funny. A parvo puppy. Cat hit by a car that we euth'd as soon as we got it into vet services. Kitten with the equivalent to parvo. Someone dropping off a dead dog for disposal. It was horrible. The worst I have seen EVER. Usually I see cases that make it into sick kennels or to adoption. But it was literally, dead animal walking day.

And during it all, I felt nothing. Still don't. That worries me some. Here I am carrying animals back and knowing in 5 minutes, they will be dead and nada. The injured babies move me more than this did. Something I plan to talk to my tdoc on Wed. about.

You're special too. I cannot foster. Nope. Cause I would never be able to let the animal be adopted out. I know I am an automatic foster failure waiting to happen. Just cannot financially afford it. Lol

I ended up adopting many of the animals. I just couldn't help it. Some were so darn cute and sweet, some had taken to me and I didn't have the heart to adopt them out and some were just too old. The founder of Friends for Life Animal Sanctuary told me "you always adopt the best ones". lol

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 34, single mom of 3 yr. old. I live in the NW... I paint and do anything else that has to do with art. (Sewing, crafts, beads, cards, scrapboo...More

Helpful Tips

Next winter
    Don't eat yellow snow. More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.