Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/womens-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

AFP TEST
    WORRIED09 posted:
    :confused: Folks I am confused right now. My wife and I are approximately 18 to 20 weeks along in the pregnancy and our first blood test and unltra sound (with perintologist at approximately 14 wks-told us it was a boy)all came back negative up too this point inthe pregnancy. This last set of blood test though had a above normal AFP result now how can this change. My wife is 39 and I am 40 but all our blood test came back fine when we checked to make sure we could even have childern. Please help this confuse and worried husband. to understand. Worried

_Paula responded:
    I would not worry- especially if your 14 week u/s looked fine- all the AFP does is give you the risks- or ratio- my last AFP came back high- and gave me a 1:300 risk of Downs- well I thought my risk was higher than that based on my age alone- I have a level II u/s done and my DD is fine. These tests can cause unnecessary worry.

FCL responded:
    Also, the tests done during pregnancy bear no relation to the tests you had done before. The AFP checks for a substance produced by the baby's liver. Also, as things like Down Syndrome are pretty much random occurrences, it's unlikely to see that show up either in pre-pregnancy blood tests (also because these tests seldom look for it).

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.