Skip to content

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page:

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Antibiotics for Yeast infection not working
    An_197356 posted:
    My Dr. prescribed Fluconazole for my yeast infection; as prescribed I took one last Monday and the 2nd pill 72 hours later on Thursday. It feels like it has gotten worse. More discharge, itches much more..etc. Why wouldn't that have worked? I
    georgiagail responded:
    Fluconazole is not an antibiotic (which would be useless in treating a yeast infection); it is an anti-fungal agent.

If this has not worked for you then you need to consider that you may have something besides a yeast infection (i.e., a bacterial infection, symptoms from an STD, etc.).

wellnessmom4 replied to georgiagail's response:
    Everyone talks about fluconazole like it's a wonder drug, but not all yeast infections respond to fluconazole and some women also have unpleasant side effects from it. Last year I had a yeast infection that didn't seem to respond to it. I made 2 visits and saw 2 different gyns (because I have several that I like in the practice and often don't mind just seeing whomever is available when I want help fast!). The interesting thing was that the 2nd gyn told me he's not a big fan of fluconazole, although he knows most women prefer it for the convenience. He said he still prefers the local approach - anti-fungal cream directly on the problem. He feels it's safer (because the drug doesn't have to transit the liver). He prescribed terconazole for me and within two days I felt loads better. Just my experience! If/when I get another yeast infection, I'm sticking with the creams, messy and inconvenient tho' they may be.
    wellnessmom4 replied to wellnessmom4's response:
    Okay, I was responding to the original poster, not georgiagail. I'm new around here and still trying to get the hang of replying correctly to posts! Sorry about that...
    Cheyenne2009 replied to wellnessmom4's response:
    No problem! Welcome!
    smjpain replied to georgiagail's response:
    GeorgiaGail I have always been given this Medicine and it always works well for me it is antibiotic and antifungle.
    An_197357 replied to smjpain's response:
    Fluconazole is an antifungal antibiotic.
    Fluconazole is used to treat infections caused by fungus, which can invade any part of the body including the mouth , throat, esophagus, lungs, bladder, genital area, and the blood.
    Fluconazole is also used to prevent fungal infection in people with weak immune systems caused by cancer treatment, bone marrow transplant, or diseases such as AIDS.
    Fluconazole may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
    georgiagail replied to An_197357's response:
    Despite what states, fluconazole (Diflucan) is not an antibiotic; it is an antifungal agent. It is often prescribed to treat yeast infections since these are fungal infections because, as a previous poster mentioned, many prefer swallowing a pill to dealing with creams and suppositories which can be messy. However, for stubborn (or frequent) vaginal yeast infections, the topical approach (creams, etc.) may be more effective.

It is also correct that patients who have suppressed immune systems (i.e., the previously mentioned folks who have undergone transplants, treatment for cancer or HIV positive patients who have reached the stage of AIDS) will often be placed on Diflucan as a suppressive therapy to avoid fungal infections.

5daysago replied to georgiagail's response:
    My doctor prescribed Diflucan to clear up a foot fungus that I got at work. It worked great!

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.