Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/womens-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Severe cramp like pain after orgasm
    asecret posted:
    Hi, I'm new here so I'm hoping I'm posting in the right place...

About a week ago I experience very severe cramp like pain after an orgasm. I didn't think too much of it as I'm a young fit 23yr old. But since then I have tried a couple of times myself to see what would happen.... its happened a number of times now, and the pain is horrible. My contraceptive is the Implanon (implant in my arm, and has been there for a year.) I've never experience anything like this before. I don't have periods due to my contraceptive, but I can remember what the cramps felt like, and it was oh so tame compared to this.
    I few years ago they found pre cancerous cells in my cervix, but I've had it checked recently and there had been no progression, and the rest was healthy. Is it worth having another check?? Does anyone know what would cause this?? There have been no changes in my lifestyle or my sex life, it just randomly started. Normal sex without reaching an orgasm is fine, and I'm more than happy to go without if this pain continues! I read somewhere that I should have pain killers an hour or so before sex... I'm 23, I don't think I've ever planned sex its usually very spontaneous. Good luck to me telling my partner we have to plan it!! any tips or advice would be much appreciated, though if it carries on for much longer I will most likely see my GP. I've decided I'll "rest" for a week or so and try again gently to see what happens, if its still there I will have it checked out. In the mean time, perhaps someone has had this problem and will save me the trip??
    Thanks

anony5556 replied to anony5556's response:
    "If I supressed my next cycle, I hypothesize the pain would not return." WOULD RETURN! Sorry. Will report back in in a few months.

kev77 replied to arealproblem's response:
    Well that almost discribes my life right now. I was born a female and started taking testosterone 5 years ago to transition to a male I still have all female parts and estrogen all at the same time. I no longer have periods but still get cramps every 2 weeks. At one time the only way to get rid of the cramps was to have an orgasm. Now if I have an orgasm I get the worst cramps ever. Someone please help us all entries our pain.

Bailey88 responded:
    HI I'm 27 and I've been dealing with the same severe cramping right after orgasm. Every time after masturbation and frequently with intercourse. I have a theory on one of the many disorders that MIGHT cause this. However, you need some medical knowledge about ME first because it helps relate previous explanations to mine. I have been on continuous birth control for 10 years. Having a period about 2X a year because my body sucks to say the least. When I do start I take an estrogen supplement to try & stop the period as per my doctor. I was put on it for many reasons mostly for endometriosis prevention but also acne, heavy flows accompanied with severe cramps during menstruation, and obviously I was having sex. I've had several abnormal paps because of HPV but never had cancer. I recently just had laparoscopic surgery (10 days ago) to remove my endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and fibroid tumors. They also performed a D & C and biopsied everything. I also had this procedure done because I was bleeding constantly for well over a month with the worst pelvic pain of my entire life! The bleeding was more of a pinkish/red discharge. I usually only saw it when I wiped (whether I peed or not). I mean I could literally just sit on the toilet & wipe & bam! There would be that pinkish discharge. I also was bleeding during sex. Let me remind you......continuous BC. No bleeding should be happening at all! Also, my pelvic floor muscles are pristine! My doctor had me doing kegels starting at 16 (never stopped) because I had some severe problems going on.
    Sometimes AFTER the pain starts to subside I might feel the urge to pee or poop but thats very rarely the case. I can say that I do get constipated every now & then. However, whether constipated or not...when I poop that same pain is there but not quite so severe & not as long.
    It is also important that you all know I am bipolar & have fibromyalgia. I take 400 mg of Lamictal, 1 mg clonazopam, 600 mg gaberpentin, 100 mg Trazodone, & my BC every night. I have been on the same meds for 7 yrs minus the gaberpentin. I know someone linked her pain to her meds.
    So 10 days post-op I still have pain. I'm still on continuous BC. I was just cleared for sex but ended up masturbating. Pain is definitely there!
    This is my theory....it is linked to hormones. I've been on continuous BC for 10 yrs with a random week or two of estrogen pills on top, my estrogen & progesterone levels are insanely out of whack and completely artificial, & most of the meds I take effect how hormones are released or absorbed in some way if at all.
    Ok so I have read that some of you are not on BC, some are, some of you are experiencing menopause, some aren't, some are teens or early 20's, etc. At certain ages your body changes & so does its' hormonal balances. Usually occurs at 20ish, 30ish, 40ish, & so on. So to the ladies that have found that they experience it around a week or so before their period...estrogen & progesterone are playing a HUGE part at that time. I can't help but to mention when we have an orgasm Oxytocin is released. It is well known that oxytocin levels are directly related to how strong of an orgasm a woman has. Higher the oxytocin=stronger the orgasm which also means stronger the uterine contractions. Research has also showed that orgasms change dopamine & prolactin (which has an inflammatory response on the body & is also increased by estrogen....hmmm) levels. Dopamine drops. Prolactin rises. Estrogen has some crazy effects on our endocrine glands. Google it. Unless there is an equal amount of progesterone in our system to balance it out things are gonna suck.
    Soooo all of that means that a little extra estrogen (can be caused by emotional/physical stress, diet, chemicals, altered immune system, & other hormonal imbalances) & oxytocin are VERY strong causes for our horrible painful orgasms.
    HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE!!

Bailey88 responded:
    HI I'm 27 and I've been dealing with the same severe cramping right after orgasm. Every time after masturbation and frequently with intercourse. I have a theory on one of the many disorders that MIGHT cause this. However, you need some medical knowledge about ME first because it helps relate previous explanations to mine. I have been on continuous birth control for 10 years. Having a period about 2X a year because my body sucks to say the least. When I do start I take an estrogen supplement to try & stop the period as per my doctor. I was put on it for many reasons mostly for endometriosis prevention but also acne, heavy flows accompanied with severe cramps during menstruation, and obviously I was having sex. I've had several abnormal paps because of HPV but never had cancer. I recently just had laparoscopic surgery (10 days ago) to remove my endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and fibroid tumors. They also performed a D & C and biopsied everything. I also had this procedure done because I was bleeding constantly for well over a month with the worst pelvic pain of my entire life! The bleeding was more of a pinkish/red discharge. I usually only saw it when I wiped (whether I peed or not). I mean I could literally just sit on the toilet & wipe & bam! There would be that pinkish discharge. I also was bleeding during sex. Let me remind you......continuous BC. No bleeding should be happening at all! Also, my pelvic floor muscles are pristine! My doctor had me doing kegels starting at 16 (never stopped) because I had some severe problems going on.
    Sometimes AFTER the pain starts to subside I might feel the urge to pee or poop but thats very rarely the case. I can say that I do get constipated every now & then. However, whether constipated or not...when I poop that same pain is there but not quite so severe & not as long.
    It is also important that you all know I am bipolar & have fibromyalgia. I take 400 mg of Lamictal, 1 mg clonazopam, 600 mg gaberpentin, 100 mg Trazodone, & my BC every night. I have been on the same meds for 7 yrs minus the gaberpentin. I know someone linked her pain to her meds.
    So 10 days post-op I still have pain. I'm still on continuous BC. I was just cleared for sex but ended up masturbating. Pain is definitely there!
    This is my theory....it is linked to hormones. I've been on continuous BC for 10 yrs with a random week or two of estrogen pills on top, my estrogen & progesterone levels are insanely out of whack and completely artificial, & most of the meds I take effect how hormones are released or absorbed in some way if at all.
    Ok so I have read that some of you are not on BC, some are, some of you are experiencing menopause, some aren't, some are teens or early 20's, etc. At certain ages your body changes & so does its' hormonal balances. Usually occurs at 20ish, 30ish, 40ish, & so on. So to the ladies that have found that they experience it around a week or so before their period...estrogen & progesterone are playing a HUGE part at that time. I can't help but to mention when we have an orgasm Oxytocin is released. It is well known that oxytocin levels are directly related to how strong of an orgasm a woman has. Higher the oxytocin=stronger the orgasm which also means stronger the uterine contractions. Research has also showed that orgasms change dopamine & prolactin (which has an inflammatory response on the body & is also increased by estrogen....hmmm) levels. Dopamine drops. Prolactin rises. Estrogen has some crazy effects on our endocrine glands. Google it. Unless there is an equal amount of progesterone in our system to balance it out things are gonna suck.
    Soooo all of that means that a little extra estrogen (can be caused by emotional/physical stress, diet, chemicals, altered immune system, & other hormonal imbalances) & oxytocin are VERY strong causes for our horrible painful orgasms.
    HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE!!

nohard replied to Bailey88's response:
    Hi Baily This is something I posted on here its a bit above like a page back, give it a good read through looks like you on some of the same kind of drugs.

Hi Anony 5556, OK below is an answer I put on netdoctor a few weeks ago after doing some research, see if it helps you.
    Hi Found this on the NHS.
    When you have an orgasm, your heart beats faster and your breathing gets quicker and heavier.
    In women, an intense, pleasurable release of sexual tension is accompanied by contractions of the genital muscles. A woman may be able to experience more than one orgasm shortly after the first, if she continues to be stimulated. A minority of women may ejaculate; a clear fluid spurts from glands close to the urethra during intense sexual excitement or during orgasm. The glands are called the Skene's glands.

So if you think about these contractions of the genital muscles it could be that these for some unknown reason just keep going, perhaps its form an on going orgasm?

Doing a little research come with this bite of info one was PGAD, ( Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder ) and how antidepressants could be behind them, so if you have been on these drugs at some time it could be from them, found this below.

I experienced the symptoms of PGAD 24/7 at the onset, but now I only experience it once a week and it's very mild, only lasts a few hours and doesn't stop me from functioning normally. I DO NOT give in to the physical desire for an orgasm since the symptoms ate now so mild. The arousal began to subside when I started on muscle relaxants and gabapentin. I was taking 300 MG 3 times a day of gabapentin, and 500 MG of Methocarbomal 3 times a day, but my doctor said I could wean off of inoth drugs and I'm down to one dose a day of each and I'm still free of the symptoms most of the time. The symptoms start when I feel anxiety so I take .05 MG of Clonazopam when I feel anxiety coming on. Since my symptoms started after I got off of the antidepressant, Welbutrin, I am now back on 150 MG of Welbutrin twice a day. I sit on a doughnut pillow when sitting or driving to prevent the vibration from triggering a possible episode. The drugs I've found to be most helpful in keeping symptoms away are antidepressant, muscle relaxant, anti anxiety and gabapentin. Since I started using a topical medication containing all of these drugs except for Clonazopam, I'm able to experience relief without taking so much oral medication. I hope to slowly wean off of the Wellbutrin at some point, but for now, I'm living a normal life again, so it will take tome before u make that change. I feel terrible for all who suffer from PGAD. I think seeing a neurologist and an OBGYN are the best choices of doctors for this disorder. Both of mine did have to do research because neither of them ever heard of PGAD, but the meds they prescribed have made a world of difference for me.

OK a couple of other things that may help was one women come of coffee completely and that has worked for her
    And another women says when its really bad passing stools stops it straight away.
    So two other things that may help.

So do hope there is some help here.

NOWHARD

JLLOU responded:
    I am 46 years old and have been dealing with these cramps since I was 26. No doctor has been able to help me so I have given up on a diagnosis and always just make sure I have Advil with me at all times. My cramps have always occurred in the two weeks between ovulation and the start of my period. If I have an orgasm during this time period, the horrible cramping will start. I've had two children and the cramps feel every bit as bad as labor but do not last very long. They begin usually in my lower abdomen, starting out dull. Then my lower back gets involved and then pain in both areas suddenly becomes excruciating. Unlike many others who have commented, however, these cramps can also happen any time, not just after orgasm. But an orgasm will certainly bring them on. And like many others, sometimes I will orgasm in my dream, only to wake up in a panic and run for the Advil as soon as I realize what's just happened. I have not taken any type of birth control since in my twenties and take lots of multivitamins. While I feel bad for all of us, I must say I am relieved to have finally found so many others with the same problem. Thanks everyone for sharing!

Karpun1967 replied to JLLOU's response:
    I signed up just so I could add some information to this discussion. What you ladies need to look up is " pelvic floor disorder" this is part of the disorder. I go to a premier personal training facility and told my trainer about pain in uterus when I orgasmed, she advised what this was. You need to see a physiotherapist hopefully is certified or specializes or treats this disorder. They will use biofeedback and ultrasound to retrain your whole pelvic floor. Also as part of this discussion, I went offs low estrogen birth control a few months ago and switched to bio identical hormones. In a few short cycles my body is making its own estrogen, but I use over the counter progesterone cream. Currently I am using 1 teaspoon morning a night for 14 days as I have a 28 day cycle. My body has been deprived of progesterone for years so I may need to high dose for a few cycles. The bio identical hormones is helping to relax my uterus. The best exercise I can do for pain is diaphragm rich breathing, or belly breath you learn in yoga and Pilates. Also deep squats. Lots of videos on YouTube on how to strengthen or relax your muscles. Try to start and stop your urine every time you go. I fluctuate between being super tense and not being able to start urine flow easily,, and being so relaxed that I can't stop. Doing this as an exercise is how you do a proper kegal. Pretend to stop and start urine flow and close your anus as if you were trying to stop gas. I can breath now to get rid of pain and pressure that normally I would use a combo of Advil and Tylenol. Hope this helps you. Also every women who should at least explore reading about bio identical hormones. It changes my life and I believe it saved my life from a miserable existence. I use smokey mountain naturals progesterone cream. It works for my body. I tried the oral pills from a compounding pharmacy but I had a bad reaction, even though my doctor preferred oral, it took me one cycle to switch over to over the counter non prescription cream in a 3 percent cream. Many authors don't think the low dose cream is effective, but it is miracle cream for me. I use it on my breasts for protection, and rub it in all different areas, but include my lower abdomen, especially when I have uterus pain. Cheers ladies

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.