Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/womens-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Period (or lack thereof) after Paragard removal
    Rooneyma posted:
    I had my Paragarad IUD removed on May 16th. It had been in for 3 1/2 years. During that entire time I never missed a period, and pretty much had a cycle of 26-28 days...never longer than 28 days, shorter if anything. When it was removed, it would have been right around the time I was ovulating. I had some pretty heavy bleeding right after it was removed but it stopped within a couple hours. I was supposed to start my period on the 28th, I'm now 3-5 days late and have no clue if its because of the IUD removal or not. I've tried 3 different pregnancy tests and they all come up negative. I have symptoms of pregnancy/PMS (sore breasts, moodiness) but have yet to start. This is a non-hormonal IUD so I wasn't expecting any changes to my cycle. Just like to know if anyone has had a similar experience or how things went for you after having Paragard removed. Thanks!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
    Dear Rooneyma: I would concur with your assessment. I would not expect removal of the non-hormonal Paragard to delay your menstrual period. If your IUD was removed around the time of ovulation (May 16th) one would hope that your three pregnancy tests would be accurate. This would be especially true if the least test was five days after the date of missed flow.

If the pregnancy test is negative then the next most common cause of a missed period is not having ovulated that cycle. In a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month. In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation. Progesterone "stabilizes" the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining—your period.

So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don't decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus—your missed period.

If you have been several months without a period, a gynecologist may give you some progesterone in a pill form (eg Provera 10 mg for 5 days). Within 48-72 hours after stopping the progesterone your "progesterone blood level" will fall, triggering the release of the lining that has been building up. Many women report that these periods are very heavy-- as though several months of lining are shed.

Causes for not ovulating are multifold: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with partners, finances), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc. In your specific case, I cannot identify an overt reason for a missed ovulation.

If your flow does not start, recheck a pregnancy test. If your normal cycle does not reset it self within the next two months, contact your GYN. If you develop pelvic pain (eg ovarian cyst) call your GYN for an exam promptly.

Hope this was a coincidental event since your flows have always been very regular.

Yours,
    Jane

Rooneyma replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
    Thanks so much Jane. Luckily my period started today so I'm feeling much better. I'm planning a big 50th birthday party for my mom and think the stress of it is probably what knocked me off my normal cycle. That feeling of not knowing is just the worst!

mswells70 responded:
    Did your menstrual cycle ever begin? I had my paragard removed in July and no menstrual cycle since then.

mswells70 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
    Thanks for sharing that information. My ParaGard was removed on 7/29/14. My last menstrual cycle before the removal started on 7/23/14. Ever since the ParaGard was removed, I have yet to have a cycle - no cycle in August, September or October. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. My GYN took a pregnancy test on me during my pap smear exam in September and it was negative. She prescribed me Provera and I finished that dose but my menstrual cycle has yet to start. I am now getting very concerned. I've had a menstrual cycle every 28 days my entire life - even while on any type of birth control. My GYN ordered a FSH last week and the results were normal.

An_263603 responded:
    Thanks for the post. I am having the same issue right now and it is a relief to know that I am not the only one- thanks for the info!

tyoung925 replied to An_263603's response:
    I have had the same exact issue! I had my Paragaurd out in July, I had a shorter than usual period (4 days) in June then a 2 day period in July and August (both on time) and no period in September. I have also been experiencing a bit of anxiety, my body went through all the physical symptoms of PMS this month but no period to be seen! I have a call into my Dr. to get in for some hormone testing.
    Any luck with yours? its been three months since your post, did your period ever return?

blackstone15 replied to tyoung925's response:
    My Paraguard IUD was removed on September 10th of this year and my husband and I tried to get pregnant since I began ovulating shortly after. About a week later I started having cramps and bloating, even though my period was not due until around 9/30. The cramps/bloating have continued off and on as well as increased sense of smell and tender breasts. I took a pregnancy test 5 days ago but it was negative. I will see if my period starts anytime soon. I was not expecting all this cramping. What is causing it? I had very little cramping when I had the IUD.

undefined replied to blackstone15's response:
    Interesting because I am going through the same thing, please do keep me posted, so far I just visited my OB GYN for some tests, she said they will check if i am pregnant, which I should not be.. because my paragard expelled itsself within two weeks of insertation (I had my period last time 8/16), and got my paragard inserted 8/17, and then during the two weeks I just didn't feel well, and before I knew it it was out of my body in the shower on 9/7) Ever since , I have not gotten my period. It is alarming. Did you have any breast tenderness?

akcolorist responded:
    How are things going for you now? I have a similar story, and am really confused right now, not sure what to do from here. My last period was around August 22nd. They have been fairly regular/ on time, sometimes late/long. I then started bleeding out of nowhere on September 7th, and it was bright red, a little different than my typical period. I continued bleeding bright red for three days, I just knew something wasn't right. I had my Paragard removed on the 10th because of it, and other severe pains I had been having on my cycles that have been gradually getting worse. The bleeding stopped immediately when the iud was removed. I missed my next period, but didn't think much of it since I was bleeding mid-cycle. Now my husband and I decided to try to get pregnant this month. I felt ovulation pains, and about a week later out of nowhere got hit with a ton of pregnancy symptoms. I have two kids already so I knew what it was like, but this time it was even more pronounced then before, these symptoms lasted a week, then some went away, even developed a cold, sinus inflammation etc lasted a few days. headaches, hot, nausea, breast swelling etc. About a week before I suspected my next period may be due going off of when I had ovulation pains, I started spotting light pink when i wiped, the first few days it was very very light, hardly noticeable. The next three days it was a little brighter pink and very watery discharge only when i wiped after urinating. On the 6th day I woke up with red blood, not a TON but it definately seemed like my period had started. Then it stopped, no more for the rest of the day. The day after, a little pink and watery again, and then it ended. I had never had a period like this, thought implantation bleeding, but its been almost a week now and pregnancy tests are still negative. Even had a blood and urine one done two weeks ago, negative. I still feel bloated and enlarged breasts. I just want my normal cycle back so we can try again, not sure what happened this month, but it was stressful not knowing.

Amber079 replied to akcolorist's response:
    I had my IUD removed 2 1/2 weeks ago. The day it was removed I had very light spotting and no cramps. I've never been pregnant or even know what ovulation feels like, but I've been having mild, pre-period like cramps, nausea, and feeling sick to my stomach all week. I did not have cramps when my Paragard was removed so I don't understand why I'm having these symptoms weeks later. I took a pregnancy test two days ago and it was negative. That was probably way too soon because my period isn't due for eight more days. Does anyone know how long it takes a uterus to recover from an IUD so that someone can become pregnant?

seforajanel responded:
    I'm really glad to see there are others who have had this experience. I have had my paragard for almost 9 years. I had it removed because it was time and I also wanted to get ready to be able to have kids in the next couple of years. My new OBGYN actually mocked me a little bit when I told her that, saying that I could get pregnant right away. Well about a week after removal I had a 2 day light period (15 days early). Now I have not bled for 62 days even though I am especially pmsing and cramping and bloated the last couple days. My naturopath scheduled some hormone tests for when my period comes, but I'm thinking of seeing my regular MD now. Any help would be appreciated.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.