Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/womens-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Pregnancy and Horror Movies
    QuakGunns posted:
    Dear WebMD, This may be a very common and stupid question. My wife loves watching horror movies. She is currently 18 weeks pregnant. Everyone I asked told me (sort of yelled at me actually...) to NOT let her watch horror films and that it affects the baby's well-being and can have an impact on the childs mental health after its born. However, I checked online and found that most say this notion is ridiculous. Can you tell me which is true? Thank you very much. Kind Regards, Kenny

ShadowButtersJetta responded:
    How will the baby know what's even going on? It sounds like old wives' tales to me!

QuakGunns responded:
    I heard its not what the mother see that affects the baby but its the emotional stress the mother has from being scared by the film that the baby senses and feels. In addition, some claim that that emotional stress felt by the baby stays with the baby after its born. But I'm getting answers 50/50.

rpfost responded:
    If she likes the movies, I say let her watch the movies. If it makes you uncomfortable, talk to her about it. But remember that most things that moms feel okay to do while they're pregnant really are okay. If it makes her uncomfortable, it's probably not okay, but if that's the case, she probably won't want to do it. If she's upset, it can affect the baby. Like if a mother suffers from depression while she is pregnant, her newborn is likely to have problems with things like sleeping or eating habbits. But if she likes horror movies (I do too), they probably don't upset her too much.

FCL responded:
    Watching horror movies will have no effect whatsoever on the baby's metal health. Good grief, emotions are part of life let alone pregnancy. Leave the poor woman alone to enjoy her movies!

QuakGunns responded:
    Thank you for your reply rpfost. It is very helpful. Fcl, I don't see where you are getting the sense that I'm bugging my wife. That is the reason I'm asking the question on this messageboard. I care very much about my wife and my baby she is carrying unlike dome fathers out there who don't give a crap about both. My wife doesn't feel "poor" at all because she knows how much I love her and our family. So don't judge. But thank you anyway for your reply.

FCL responded:
    I wasn't judging, not in the least. :smile: However, ask yourself why you're going around asking other people's opînions about her behaviour (to the point of getting yelled at). If you are really this worried, give her doc a quick ring ...

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.