Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/heart-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

PVC's and headaches
    CharleyCrews1950 posted:
    I've been diagnosed with PVC's and been told nothing to worry about. However, I do get headaches more than I like and I wonder if they caused by the irregular heartbeat.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
    Hi: b "Wonder if they caused by the irregular heartbeat" Headaches has various causes, and it's well known that the heart (which includes certain congenital defects) can affect the brain (and vice versa) in various ways. Some individuals, in various Internet forums, have reported a correlation between PVCs/palpitations and headache or migraine. Randomly selected example - i ...."I have a heart monitor for 30 days so the doctor can record how many palpatations I am having in day. So far I have PVCs every hour and it affects my balance and I get slight headaches....." . About PVCs The most common type of palpitations, premature ventricular contractions (which occurs even in many heart-healthy individuals), is described that the heart is flip-flopping, fluttering, jumping, pausing or stopping briefly (though it's actually not doing that), pounding, skipping, thumping, or strong or forceful beats being felt in the chest, neck, or throat (and sometimes the head). PVCs itself are typically harmless, though the main problem or concern (even more so, much more emphasized for those with certain major or serious heart conditions) with PVCs is if/when sustained ventricular tachycardia (runs of PVCs over 30 seconds) occurs/occurred. Also, non-sustained ventricular tachycardia (NSVT, runs of PVCs under 30 seconds, but typically not salvos) may/can become serious as well if it occurs frequently (episodes are grouped closely/tightly together). PVCs (or premature atrial contractions, PACs) may/can occur with/in the presence of bradycardia (heart rate under 60 beats per minute), tachycardia (heart rate over 100 beats per minute), and symptoms may/can occur with PVCs (or PACs), such as chest pain/discomfort/pressure/tightness, difficulty breathing, lightheadedness or dizziness, and in uncommon to rare cases, syncope (a temporary loss of consciousness, which includes passing out or fainting). ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Communicate/interact well with your doctor(s). Take care CardioStar* WebMD community member (8/99) - - b Be well-informed WebMD/Cleveland Clinic b Heart Disease: Abnormal Heart Rhythm What are the types of arrhythmias? www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-abnormal-heart-rhythm Cleveland Clinic Heart & Vascular Institute b Management of Arrhythmias (Abnormal Heartbeats) w/ECG images www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/disease/electric/arrhythmia.htm - Your Total Health b Premature Ventricular Contractions yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/premature-ventricular-contractions.html MedicineNet b Palpitations (PACs/PVCs) www.medicinenet.com/Palpitations/article.htm eHealthMD b Palpitations www.ehealthmd.com/library/palpitations/PAL_whatis.html i LEARN ABOUT the heart's delicate and precise electrical conduction system Your-doctor b Animated Tutorial your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html Heart Rhythm Society b Patients and Public Information Center www.hrspatients.org - - Health A - Z b Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/hc/men/life/alert05132004.jsp HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a TWO WAY street.... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . It's your future....be there. :-) . . b WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

rmaster193 replied to CardiostarUSA1's response:
    I also have been diagnosed with pvc's (w/out the presence of heart disease). I also have headaches and dizziness that i was wondering if they were caused by the pvc's. I am still concerned with the sudden cardiac death due to the pvc's. Is there a cause for concern? Also is there a particular diet that i should follow to help control the pvc's or some type of other technique i could do? They are really bothersome and i would like to get them under control if at all as soon as possible. Can chocolate, sweets, caffeine, beer, or excercise throw my heart into the pvc's? I do not get the pvc's everyday, but when they do occur i start to have severe anxiety for which i take ativan for and i try to relax, but as i lay down and relax i can feel the irregular beat through my chest and neck which makes it hard to go to sleep.

CardiostarUSA1 replied to rmaster193's response:
    Hi:

"Is there a cause for concern?"

About PVCs

The most common type of palpitations, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, which occurs even in many heart-healthy individuals), is described that the heart is flip-flopping, fluttering, jumping, pausing or stopping briefly (though it's actually not doing that), pounding, skipping, thumping, or strong or forceful beats being felt in the chest, neck, or throat.

PVCs itself are typically harmless, though the main problem or concern (even more so, much more emphasized for those with certain major or serious heart conditions) with PVCs is if/when sustained ventricular tachycardia (runs of PVCs over 30 seconds) occurs.

Also, non-sustained ventricular tachycardia (NSVT, runs of PVCs under 30 seconds, but typically not salvos) may/can become serious as well if it occurs frequently (episodes are grouped closely/tightly together).

PVCs (or premature atrial contractions, PACs) may/can occur with/in the presence of bradycardia (heart rate under 60 beats per minute), tachycardia (heart rate over 100 beats per minute), and symptoms may/can occur with PVCs (or PACs), such as chest pain/discomfort/pressure/tightness, difficulty breathing, lightheadedness or dizziness, headache, and in uncommon to rare cases, syncope (a temporary loss of consciousness, which includes passing out or fainting).

"Is there a particular diet that I should follow to help control the pvcs"

Generalized info -

Palpitations - Foods/Beverages to Avoid

Caffeinated Beverages

Limit or avoid caffeinated beverages such as coffee, most teas, energy drinks and soft drinks. Sugar can exacerbate the stimulant effect of caffeine, so avoid sugary caffeinated beverages in particular. Herbal teas, decaffeinated coffee, water and pure fruit or vegetable juices are safe alternatives to caffeinated beverages.

Chocolate

The primary ingredient in chocolate, cacao, also contains caffeine. Chocolate is substantially lower in caffeine than caffeinated beverages such as coffee, but may influence the occurrence of palpitations for those who are particularly sensitive.

Monosodium Glutamate

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is an additive in foods designed to enhance and preserve flavor. Some individuals have adverse reactions to MSG, such as palpitations or rapid heartbeat (tachycardia). Scientific evidence to support the correlation between MSG and heart palpitations is lacking, but numerous individuals claim to experience such symptoms short term following consumption of food that contains the additive. If you are concerned about palpitations in response to MSG, limit or avoid processed foods such as canned soups, commercially prepared snack foods, fast food, chicken and beef stock and Asian foods, as they typically contain the additive.

Alcohol

Limit or avoid alcohol consumption. The saying goes "Everything In Moderation", though even adhering to this is not for everyone.

Take care,

C*

-

-

Be well-informed

MedicineNet

Palpitations (PACs/PVCs)

http://www.medicinenet.com/Palpitations/article.htm

eHealthMD

Palpitations

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/palpitations/PAL_whatis.html

-

LEARN ABOUT the heart's delicate and precise electrical conduction system

Your-doctor

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html

Heart Rhythm Society

Patients and Public Information Center

http://www.hrspatients.org

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future....be there. :-)

. .

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

littlewende replied to rmaster193's response:
    I know what you are saying! I have been very fearful when these attacks hit me, especially when I was driving and couldn't pull over (on the interstate). I think for myself, some of it has to do with stress, also if I drink more than 2 glasses of wine (at a party or something) it brings it on worse. But sometimes, I am just sitting there, relaxed and watching tv and there it goes! I, too, worried about sudden cardiac death! I have been to the ER quite a few times, and the last time they precribed ativan, which did help a little, I only have used it twice. I don't have headaches but I have had the feeling of passing out. The cardiologist did say that too much caffiene can bring it on also.

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
    Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    17 of 19 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center