Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/heart-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

What is wrong with me....
    onestormie posted:
    Short story: Got abscessed tooth 4 years ago, I still have it, doesn't hurt, but I get occasional horrible headaches from it, makes spine hurt, side of head, etc. Years ago I used to rarely get weird feelings in chest (like heart would stop or beat weirdly, felt like I couldn't breathe, then would go back to normal- only happens when at rest or not exercising. I do not have anxiety). Now this happens a lot more (heart thingies), also notice splinter hemorrhages in nails. They appear when I have these weird heart things happening. Oh, also notice that my big toe at the bottom of the toe is swelled but doesn't hurt, and when I get up in the morning, bottoms of feet and fingers are swollen but it goes away as soon as I get up. I don't think it's endocarditis. Any ideas or similar experiences? If so, what happened? I'm not on any meds, not overweight and otherwise no problems that I know of. I don't go to doctors or dentists (too expensive and I'm not a freeloader).

cardiostarusa1 responded:
    Hi:

Please note that WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Endocarditis can be easily confirmed or ruled out with an echocardiogram.

Various factors/medical conditions/diseases may/can produce various fingernail appearance abnormalities (e.g., splinter hemorrahages, cyanosis, etc.).

More often than not, fingernail appearance abnormalities turn out as being non-serious or benign (harmless) in nature.

Patient resources

Many community clinics can offer personalized and high-quality health care, regardless of one's ability to pay. This decision is typically based on the size of one's family, household income and any other special circumstances.

If one has little or no income, donations and/or grants that some facilities receive, may/can make it possible for them to assist an individual on a limited or emergency basis.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Health Resources and Services Administration

HRSA-supported Health Centers

Find Affordable Health Care

Health centers are in most cities and many rural area. Health centers provide:

1. Checkups when you're well

2. Treatment when you're sick

3. Complete care when you're pregnant

4. Immunizations and checkups for your children

5. Dental care and prescription drugs for your family

6. Mental health and substance abuse care if you need it

http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC.aspx

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD community member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Health Central

Nail abnormalities

http://www.healthcentral.com/ency/408/003247.html

-

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Men and Women

Acquired in life or congenital (born with it)

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart Disease SYMPTOMS

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Prevention......

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the umbrella of......

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

Learn About the

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types), actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

NEVER
    delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on WebMD.

IF YOU have a medical emergency CALL 911.

onestormie replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
    Thank you CardiostarUSA for the information, I appreciate it greatly.

I'm also looking for anyone else who was having these symptoms. I'm the type to wait until it gets to be bad before I do anything, since I would assume that the doctors either won't know what it is, or will find nothing wrong.

cardiostarusa1 replied to onestormie's response:
    You're welcome.

"I'm the type to wait until it gets to be bad before I do anything."

My dad (a coronary artery disease and peripheral artery disease patient for about 10 years) was like that, and in his particular case, one time, almost lost his life as a result of it.

..."since I would assume that the doctors either won't know what it is, or will find nothing wrong."

"We should assume that hopefully they will know, offer an accurate diagnosis, be it with all the diagnostic tools they have at their command and the experience in using them/interpreting the results/findings.

And granted, at times, they will find no known cause, unknown cause ("idiopathic").

Take good care,

onestormie replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
    Hi Cardiostar!
    I know...but I think I may have found out what is wrong with me- I had been feeling pretty bad yesterday, out of breath, shaky, the usual. I had forgotten that I think I have hypothyroidism, at least that's what one of the symptom checker thing said I had. So, I finally got some seaweed and ate a tablespoon of it, and a few hours later, I was feeling so much better! I am going to keep eating the seaweed and hopefully that will be what the problem was and will clear it up. I'm sorry to hear about you dad, my dad also has heart problems as well, and both my female relatives have thyroid problems (I blame being irradiated 2 times a year for the dentist, plus xrays for cavities till I was old enough to not go anymore).

I pray that is all it is since my husband gets mad at me when I get so tired and can't do things around the house. Not sure what I'd do if it was some heart related problem, but I try to not worry about the things I can't change.
    Thank you so much for your input, it's nice to know someone in cyberspace cares.

brunosbud replied to onestormie's response:
    Do you have problems (loss) with teeth? Do you feel really tired in the mornings? Do you snore, loudly. How often do you check blood pressure? Have you lost weight, unintentionally? Any blood in stools or urine? Diarrhea or severe constipation? Do you have a family history of diabetes, cancer or stroke/heart attack?

Bleeding, pain, chronic fatigue, water retention, jaundice, loss of appetite along with some of the "symptoms" I mentioned, above, are classic "red flags". I am 61, male, and I exhibit none of these. If I did, I'd be very concerned because none of these are "normal" (especially, if you're younger than me)...

...According to you, you show at least 3. At the very least, run a complete blood panel with fasting blood glucose test. Your body is telling you to act but you're not listening.

Helpful Tips

potassium levels
    talk to your physician and check your meds on WebMD -- some med combinations either deplete or increase potassium levels in your ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center