Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/heart-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Headache and heart attack
    1jessmay posted:
    Five years ago, at age 60, I had a heart attack that was caused by a congenital anomaly. Both coronary arteries were formed on the same side of the heart. The artery that needed to feed the opposite side of the heart snaked between the aorta and the pulmonary artery. I knew nothing about the anomaly. I played sports, went through boot camp for the navy at age 30, had three children at a young age without any symptoms of the heart. I did have recurrent strep infections and scarlet fever. I also started having severe leg aches at age nine. The day I had the heart attack I was very emotionally upset. My blood pressure rose, my head hurt to the point I suspected a stroke. It was many hours later that a small chest pain that wouldn't stop sent me to the ER. I had had two previous occurrences of this horrible head pain, under the same circumstances, being highly upset. No chest pain then. I now have a balance problem and often walk into walls or stagger. I just need to know if the three things may be related and if so, how. I had open heart surgery that planned to de-roof the coronary artery and attach it to one of the major arteries. Extended time in surgery changed that plan to a single by-pass graft. Should I get a CT or MRI to check to see if I may have had a stroke. I have good medical care but don't know how to approach the subject. I have complained to my GP and cardiologist about the balance problem with no relief.

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
    Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    17 of 19 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center