Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/heart-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Heart experts warn of air pollution dangers
    cardiostarusa1 posted:
    Air pollution should be one of the avoidable heart risk factors - just like smoking and excess fat - that doctors warn patients to steer clear of, according to a new statement from 20 heart experts.

"Cardiovascular disease is a huge global problem......

Brook said that while the U.S. has made great strides reducing air pollution since the 1970s or even 2000, the efforts should continue.

CardioStar*

Was this Helpful?
    9 of 9 found this helpful

bobby75703 responded:
    Hi Cardiostar. Great post. On the subject of air pollution and heart disease, my next door neighbor has a new car in his driveway. Its says ZERO EMISSIONS on the license plate. No tail pipe. Its a Tesla and gets up to 260 miles per charge. The world is changing, and I believe what is in my neighbors driveway is major a step in preventing vascular disease.

Take care.

Bobby

cardiostarusa1 replied to bobby75703's response:
    Thanks Bobby.

Btw, I drive a Tesla Roadster (no longer in production). It's a gas to drive, lol, and of course uses no gas.

CardioStar*

cardiostarusa1 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
    Upgrade me, as I do my part to keep heart-harming air pollution down.

Bobby check out this artricle.

Tesla Roadster gets a range increase to a truly crazy 400 miles maximum

Precursor to the Model S can now go a lot farther on a charge.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2014/12/tesla-roadster-gets-a-range-increase-to-a-truly-crazy-400-miles-maximum

bobby75703 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
    That is awesome cardiostar. Its a positive step in the right direction. Up to 400 miles per charge is highly marketable. Now its just a matter of getting cost down to something the average consumer can afford.

I believe this would give heart disease a hard kick in the pants.

While most people accept smoking as a major risk factor in heart disease, I would venture to say the vast majority have yet to realize air pollution as a valid risk factor. Most have never given it a thought.

But I have studied it hard and tracked the rise and fall of heart disease with smoking, and the internal combustion engine. I have compared death rates to air pollution levels over the course of time and geographic location. The association is overwhelming.

Thank you Cardiostar for driving a zero emissions vehicle. One day we all will because of people like you.

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
    Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    17 of 19 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center