Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.
    1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/hepatitis-c/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Does taking the drug Ribavirin, in 1200mg concentration per day, risk to force a relapse of a previous case of leukemia?
    johnnytherabbit posted:
    Does taking the drug Ribavirin, in 1200mg concentration per day, risk to force a relapse of a previous case of leukemia?

Short history:

Diagnosed with leukemia (AML) at age 1. Treated with chemotherapy by age 2. Never had any relapse, now aged 28.

Contracted HCV during a blood transfusion when leukemia was present at age 1, now considering Harvoni + Ribavirin treatment for Hep C, but afraid that Ribavirin might force leukemia to come back with a vengeance, 27 years later.

I've read that Ribavirin is actually being investigated to treat leukemia, but I'm unsure of the possible effects of using Ribavirin on a patient that doesn't currently have leukemia, but had it 26 years ago.

There's also a history of leukemia in the 2nd degree branch of the family (uncle) at age 38, also treated successfully. Unsure of the treatment or type of leukemia or treatment followed.

vickietate responded:
    get off this drug. get on the pill if u can

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
    I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    5 of 9 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.