Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.
    1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/hepatitis-c/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

I'm only 22 and was just told I have Hepatitis.
    An_266258 posted:
    I've had really bad abdominal pain for about a week now. It's every single day all day. I finally had enough of it and went to the emergency room. She asked me what my symptoms were and I told her that I thought I hard a Urinary tract infection, because my urine was dark. I was taken to a room and given an IV with fluids and blood drawn. I then had a CT scan. After 5 hours of being there she came in and told me I had Hepatitis. She said she didn't know if it was A,B or C yet. She told me I needed to go to another doctor and she printed out the lab work for me. She also told me to call on Tuesday because the results would be back as to which one I had. My question is about my lab results. After googling and searching which one was about my liver function and how to read it, my lab results say that my AST(SGOT) is 408 and my ALT(SGPT) is 1,004. How bad is this?

givingback944 responded:
    First let me say that I'm very sorry that you've been presented with this news. But you will find help here and through other resources that can help you.

However...you need to get to a Hepatologist right away.
    Your numbers are pretty high, but don't panic. You need to get your condition 'typed' and properly diagnosed, and treatment started right away. Basically those liver enzyme numbers being that high simply mean that your liver is under attack and experiencing damage inside your body. You've got to help your liver fight back and heal/regenerate to the fullest extent possible, so sooner is better.

I've been on a 2 year journey with a daughter diagnosed with AIH, which you may also have (vs HEP C, B, etc.).
    If you do have HEP C, there's been amazing progress (almost a cure) with new drugs recently. Bad news is they are CRAZY expensive.

btw, I'm assuming you're a girl based on your UTI comment, and AIH mostly affects girls in your age bracket

Anyway, you'll need to do a lot of research, as you will quickly learn that you must control your own destiny with this condition to the extent that is possible. I'll try to help as much as I can so post back often.
    What kind of insurance do you have? That will get very important soon, regardless of which type the docs tell you that you have. There will be many tests and probably a biopsy in your future too. Don't panic about that, my teenage daughter has been through several of them and while not fun it's not the end of the world either.
    I'll try to help as much as possible. Hang in there, the vast majority of people with this disease manage well through it.

Helpful Tips

New treatments for hepatitis CExpert
    I'll be appearing on Sirius Radio, channel 114 (on XM, channel 119) on Monday April 14, from 9-9:30 A.M. discussing the new protease ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    5 of 9 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.