Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

HIV risk from Brief anal
    cbf505101 posted:
    I had brief protected anal sex with a female stripper awhile back. However I did not know what type of lube she used here are the facts

A. She suggested a condom before I did ( I always use them no exceptions)

B. Received unprotected oral

C. She put a lubricated latex condom on ( I made her show it to me)

D. No lube was applied directly to the condom

E. Lube was on her anus, clear,shiny, thin not thick.

F. Brief insertion in anus after about 30-45 seconds

G. Pulled out , condom was intact

H. Reinserted in anus for another 30secs pulled out, condom was still intact. Suggested vaginal sex she said would have to change the condom.

I. Continued with unprotected oral, encounter ended after that.

A couple days later I had problems urinating went to my doctor and he ran tests, everything was negative no bacteria, blood etc in urine. Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, NSU, came back negative.

I read oil is a problem for condoms because it can cause it to break. Again no lube was directly applied to the condom and it did not fail.

Questions:

1. If it was oil lube does it make the condom not as effective? Does it change if no lube was directly applied to the condom?

2. Was I at risk for possible HIV infection

Thank you for your help

georgiagail responded:
    1. Oil with a latex condom can increase the risk of the condom breaking. However, this did not happen with you.

2. Oral sex carries an EXTREMELY low risk of HIV transmission. Think along the lines of an estimated risk of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status.

Gial

cbf505101 replied to georgiagail's response:
    Thank you! Should I forget about this and move on? as I was not at risk for HIV?

georgiagail replied to cbf505101's response:
    Unless that extremely low risk from oral sex continues to bother you (in which case a simple screening test at 3 months will confirm your negative status) you can forget about this and move on. You've done all the right things by always using a condom; no exceptions.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
    Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    27 of 40 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.