Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Risk
    Anon_136251 posted:
    I'm a woman and a guy I know we messed around where he went down on me a few times, fingered me a few times and we mutually masturbated a couple times where he came outside of me. He says that no cum was near inside of me and he had no cuts on his fingers. About 7 days later I got a cold with minor aches, sore throat, and slight fever. I was on a vacation and my relative had a similar thing. Should I be worried?
    FirstPrevious12NextLast

georgiagail responded:
    I am going to assume you do not know this mans status.

Your only "risk" is from oral sex and that is an unbelievably low risk. Think along the lines of an estimated risk of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

If you remain concerned over this incredibly small risk then consider getting tested at the 3 month mark.

Gail

Anon_136251 replied to georgiagail's response:
    Do you think it's worth getting a test over? I'm sorry I'm just worried.

georgiagail replied to Anon_136251's response:
    Is this partner HIV positive?

I don't know

I don't know

Anon_136251 replied to Anon_136251's response:
    Is it normal for ars symptoms to occur after 7 days?

Anon_136251 replied to Anon_136251's response:
    Is it normal for ars symptoms to occur after 7 days?

ARS generally occurs two to six weeks after transmission and are described as "flu like" in nature.

Suggestions..
    1. The fact a relative had the same symptoms would suggest there is a cold/flu going around.
    2. Never engage in sexual contact with someone unless you can confirm their status beforehand.
    3. Even assuming they are positive, review the EXTREMELY low risk from oral sex and continue on from there in determining whether you wish to undergo testing.

Gail

If I had a cold like illness with moderate body aches, sore throat, would that cause lymph nodes in groin to swell?

If I had a cold like illness with moderate body aches and sore throat, would the lymph nodes in groin swell? I had a fever and body aches for one day but I think the lymph nodes in groin are still swollen

Yes; lymph nodes swell with a cold.

I remember my partner fingered me kinda rough and later on I found kinda yellowish discharge on my underwear. Could this be blood? He never inserted his penis in me he just fingered me a couple times and went down on me. Do you think its a risk? Should I be worried? We mutually masturbated after he fingered me and he says that he didn't touch his ejaculate and then finger me. I'm just worried

"Could this be blood?"

No.

The only risk is from the oral sex and that has previously been explained. Again, estimated to be .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Please stop worrying about all of this.

Gail

Thanks Gail. Lastly, even though oral carries a risk, then I shouldn't worry about given the low risk it is or is it worth considering?

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
    Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    27 of 40 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.