Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Hiv risk, giving/receiving oral and condom break
    foreveraggie posted:
    Gail, I have been seeing someone for a couple months now. We have both given and received oral, and use condoms during intercourse. I did however have a condom break 3 weeks ago. I think it was broke for awhile, didn't notice until finished. It was completely torn! About a 2 weeks ago I started having diarrhea. Last week, head aches, and muscle aches, primarily neck and upper back and shoulders. Still have them.No fever, no sore throat, no rash. Any chance this could be ARS symptoms? Have had for about a week (5 days), diarrhea, off and on for two weeks.

georgiagail responded:
    Is your partner HIV positive?

foreveraggie replied to georgiagail's response:
    Says she is clean, but who knows...

georgiagail replied to foreveraggie's response:
    So ask her to get tested. If she tests negative then she doesn't have the virus and your symptoms are not ARS.

Gail

Does it sound like ars?

foreveraggie replied to foreveraggie's response:
    OraQuick?

Too early for you.

Any suggestions? Do any clinics do the antibody/antigen test that would work for my time frame? Do my symptoms sound like they could be ars? Thank you Gail!

WebMD is, again, being very difficult to post to.

Ask your girlfriend to go get tested.

Gail

Sorry Gail, she says she is negative and got mad. Won't take one! What can I do ? Antigen/antibody? Do clinics do that test? Do my symptoms sound like ars? Thanks!

Antigen testing before 1 month. Or, antibody testing at 3 months.
    And please stop asking if you think I think your symptoms sound like ARS. You know that we do not try to diagnose HIV by symptoms. If you don't know if your partner is even HIV positive in the first place I sure don't know her status as to whether she even has the virus to pass on to you.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
    Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    27 of 40 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.