Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

HIV testing Question
    larry1987 posted:
    Hi Gail,

I am 29 years old male. I had only one exposure almost 3 years ago unprotected with a girl for less then a minute. After 5 months of my exposure i bought several Oraquick home test kits and tested Negative. I also went to parent Plannedhood almost a year after that exposure and I tested with Oraquick Advanced (Negative). I learned my lesson and always play it safe. Overall im not sexually active, my first exposure was my first sexual activity in my life it was in the summer of 2013. In the summer of 2015 i had protected sex and oral sex with a girl both with condom. Then this year I had twice sexual massage with a girl, i never had any intercourse with her.... All i had massage and handjob. 3 weeks ago I went to a health department and tested finger prick blood it was negative as well (Alere Determine HIV1/2 Ag/Ab). I never had any potential exposure since my first and last exposure 3 years ago I always played it safe after that. So 2 days ago I went for Full STD panel including HIV test blood work with ANALYTE HEALTH. They said they use HIV 4th generation Anitbody test. I am scared to death!!! Please would you advise me.

1) Risk assessments? 2) are all the tests I undergone (Oraquick and Alere Determine) accurate and reliable? 3) would my blood work would be different then all these tests I undergone? 4) is my last sexual activity massage put me on any Kind and risk of STDs? 5) can I be pretty confident that at least my HIV blood test is gonna come back Negative? As i said I never had any kind of unprotected sex or exposure after my first and last exposure in 2013.

Thank you so much Gail.

georgiagail responded:
    You are at NO risk for any STD, including HIV.

Gail

larry1987 replied to georgiagail's response:
    Thank you Gail for replying to me!!! I also forgot to mention that when i went to Parent Plannedhood I also tested for other STD's as well beside HIV, I tested for Syphilis, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia all came back negative.

So do you think that hopefully all my STD's tests will come back Negative since i am at NO risk for any STD. Correct?!

Thank you again.

Thank you Gail for replying to me... I forgot to mention that when I went to Parent Plannedhood I also tested for other STD's as well beside HIV, Syphillis, Chlamydia and gonorrhea all came back negative as well.

So from what I understand from you, that you think all my STD panel tests hopefully will come back negative!? Since I am at NO risk for any STD's!? Correct?!

Thank you again!...

georgiagail replied to larry1987's response:
    As stated, you are at NO risk of any STD from the sexual experiences you have described.

Gail

Thanks Gail again for the reply... You were right like usual and I recieved my full STD panel tests back from Quest Diagnostic and they all came back normal and non reactive including 4th generation HIV test... However only one test came back positive ( Herpes Type 1)..!! I haven't seen a doctor yet since im out of town for few days. I got little anxious about this test result... I know this forum is only for HIV but please can you tell me lil bot more about it?! Does that type of Herpes 1 dangerous and serious? What should I do? What will be the treatment like if you have any idea?! Any advise please?!

Note: my Herpes Type 2 came back normal and non reactive!.

Thank you in advance again Gail.

HSV1 typically results in oral cold sores. The majority of adults carry this virus having picked this up in childhood. Most rarely or never have an outbreak and unless tested for this are unaware they carry this virus.

Gail

Gail you are the best, thank you so much for the info... and you also right again. I don't remember I never have any symptoms such oral cold sore... if it happened that was long time ago when I was younger I rarely used to have some type of cold sore around my tongue and gum, especially when I eat something very salty or sour and tangy. it also used to go away on itself in few days. Last question, do you recommend that I need to go to the doctor for that issue because honestly i don't experience any type or kind of such oral cold sore.

thank you again and God bless.

There is really no need to go to a physician for that issue.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
    Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    27 of 40 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.