Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Could I be positive? (Terrified:( )
    An_267897 posted:
    Hello,

about 2 and a half months ago I engaged in sexual activity with a woman, however there was no penetrative sex.

I have had no symptoms until a week and a half ago when I got a mucus cough. I have taken over the counter medicine to relieve this however it has only lessened the mucus and I still have a chest cough. I am not sure if this could be a result of the travelling I have done recently.

Another thing which has me worried is that I have a lump which has developed on my back yesterday (about 6cm above my armpit line) which is red and quite sore, i'm not sure if this could be a lymph node or not.

These symptoms have not affected my ability to go about my daily life, however the cough is very annoying and disturbing to others.

Could someone please give me some advice, i'm absolutely terrified.

regards

georgiagail responded:
    ARS (the first stage of HIV occurs two to six weeks after transmission, not 2 1/2 months later. Your lump sounds like a pimple or sebaceous cyst. These symptoms have nothing to do with HIV. If you remain terrified then a test done at 3 months will provide you comfort in regards to your status.

Gail

Helpful Tips

What steps to take if you test positive?Expert
    Hello community, Dan, Gail and myself often answer questions around the potential risk of different exposures for those of you who are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    27 of 40 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.