Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/heart-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Postural HypERtension
    1questioner posted:
    When I work and keep busy all day in the house and big garden, which is hard work, and in the evenings too my BP is normal to low.

I swim three hours a week too and walk occasionally, even as far as 27 miles in a day across the Moors. I don't follow a particular diet but I do take 1gm co-enzyme Q10 daily and fish oils.

When I sit down in the doctor's surgery, or even at home for long periods, if I take my BP then - it is raised!

I am 63 kgms and 5ft 1in high so know I am overweight.

Is the cause of the raise because I am all squeezed up in the sitting position whereas if I am standing there is less pressure from my fat tummy on my core organs.

Would losing weight correct the problem alone?

billh99 responded:
    No medical professional responds in this forum.

I wonder if this might be caused by restrictions in one or more of your limbs.

The standard way of taking BP is to be seated with the back supported, the feet supported, the arm supported at heart level, and time was given to rest before taking the BP.

This often does not happen in doctors office.

I would like to see then take your BP in each arm using that protocol. Then repeat with you laying down and also take the BP in the legs.

Helpful Tips

Tool to track your blood pressure
    Hi, I have a friend who has high blood pressure as does pretty much his whole family. His doctor asks them to regularly take their bp and ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    50 of 67 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center