Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    referral to nephrologist for unstable blood pressure?
    britknit posted:
    I had a stent for cad in 2012, I'm on Lisinopril 40mgs twice daily and atenolol 50 mgs once daily, 81 mgs of baby aspirin daily, ranitidine 150 mgs. Twice daily. I recently discontinued plavix 75 mgs. Once daily. I was also put on fosamax 70mgs. for osteoporosis. One week ago I was started on HCTZ 25mgs. Once daily since I recently reported b/p of 175/90 for one week.after taking 4 doses of HCTZ I had massive cramps and dry heaves. My sodìum blood test was critical low at 115 with low chloride as well. I was put on restricted fluid intake and discontinued the HCT Z and also referred to a nephrologist. I am 72 and aside from current problem lead an active life, not overweight take no drugs ,alchohol or smoke. Other blood tests are normal. Question is why am I referred to nephrologist?
    billh99 responded:
    I can think of two reasons.

    One the kidneys control the sodium levels. Thus low levels could indicate a kidney problem.

    The other is that the kidney is also involved in controlling BP.

    Helpful Tips

    Salt or Sugar: What’s the Bigger Blood Pressure Threat?
    Your pantry can be seen as a kind of medicine cabinet in your kitchen. Every ingredient contained behind its doors is a contributing factor ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    7 of 7 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center