Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/heart-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

spiking blood pressure
    mgm223 posted:
    Just got an update to a post that I made quite sometime ago so thought I would elaborate on my situation about 2-3 years later after experiencing this phenomenon. As I stated before, my blood pressure was very high off and on, but mostly in the early morning hours which sometimes even extended into the early afternoon. I have a significant allergy to dairy and over and over I tested the limits and ended up with a multitude of sinus infections. These infections, in turn, led to respiratory problems which were worse at night. I have found out within the last several years that I have sleep apnea. The verapamil that I take for high blood pressure is also known to cause very vivid dreams which can escalate heart rate and blood pressure as well. At this point in my life, it is difficult to determine which problem began first but I never had dreams like I do now before going on verapamil and even diovan before that. If and when I can lose some weight and get fitter, I hopefully can stop blood pressure meds all together. I think that also will put an end to the apnea as well. I initially saw lots of doctors about this problem over an extended period and on account of their lack of diagnostic skills I have lost faith in them for the most part. Thank the gods for the internet and websites such as this so patients can become their own diagnosticians and heal themselves.

Marilyn M.

gerrybl responded:
    First off have a sleep study done and get a cpap machine (preferralbly the one with a high and low set point). Next keep detailed daily records of your calorie intake and your sodium intake. Check with your nuticianist but I wouldm guess that you should limit your calorieas to around 1500-2000 calories per day and your sodium to 1500-1700 mg per day. Use the app on the internet called "myfitnesspal.com" to track your calories and sodium. Also talk to your Dr. about taking a diuretic with a potassium saver. Also add potassium, magnesium, and calcium supplements to your diet. Talk with your Dr. about "Benicar" for your BP. My Dr. recommends taking a blood pressure pill at night so that your BP will tend to go down at night and not up. Also cut sugar from your diet. fruits are ok. Eat lots of fruits and veggies and cut your meat intake to about apiece of lean meat the size of a deck of cards per meal.

Helpful Tips

High Blood Pressure/Weight Loss
    Lossing a significant amount of weight will help your blood pressure go down and possibly get you off of your medication. I know people who ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    18 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center