Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Not sure it's IBS
    apaige4477 posted:
    I have recently been diagnosed with IBS however I have had these symptoms since I was in middle school and I'm 26 now. My stomach will hurt, especially my upper stomach and my lower, not really the middle. It will just ache and then go into short moments of severe pain as if someone has taken my insides and are trying to ring them out like a wash cloth. I get bloated and even when I pass gas it doesn't help. I'm regular and don't really have problems with BM. Sometimes I even ache in my lower back. I try to stay away from dairy b/c I know that's a trigger it but it happens even when I don't have dairy. This can last for a few hours or recently for almost a week. I know I don't have celiac's disease and the IBS med the doc gave me doesn't help either. It's embarrassing to look pregnant and walk hunched over at work due to this pain. Something tells me that IBS isn't the real problem, just a generic diagnosis. Does any one have any advice?
    barbarafromtucson responded:
    Most of us have had to go to multiple doctors to get an accurate diagnosis. "IBS" is often diagnosed as a catch-all dianosis...there are many out there walking around with IBS when they really have something else.

    You need to go to a GI specialist. He should have done all kinds of tests on you--including bloodwork, fecal tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, upper GI, and ultrasound (of your upper abdomen area). If all these tests come out 'negative'--then your GI (if he's a good one), will do further tests on you...including using a pill cam, food allergy testing, and other more specific tests narrowing in on your digestive system.

    If your doctor hasn't done these...and won' need to go to another doctor. It's a pain in the butt (literally and figuratively), but it's a struggle we all have to go thru.

    Keep in touch with're not alone!
    apaige4477 replied to barbarafromtucson's response:
    Thanks, I definitely need to go to a GI specialist. I was having severe symptoms when I made the doc. appt, but you know they couldn't fit me in until the next day. Of course my symptoms had subsided and when the doctor checked me out, he poked my stomach a few times and talked to me, or well, I talked as much as I could explaining all the symptoms. He just said it sounded like my colon was spasming and did blood work to rule out celiacs disease and check for any abnormalities in normal things. I was well, very unimpressed by his casualness about it all and dicyclomine is no help. He didn't even think it was weird that I can't burp!
    calmgut responded:
    I was just wondering is there anybody that actively works with this condition. Not only do I have IBS but also hyperhidrosis from my rear area so it's extremely tough for me, but I manage I still go out from time to time and I worked a whole year with the condition.
    CalGal37 replied to calmgut's response:
    There are a number of different groups that work on the problem of IBS. Two of the largest of those groups, I believe, are at UCLA and at the U. of North Carolina.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I have always had a "sensitive stomach", but once my daughter was born five years ago, I started having diarrhea. It gradually became 7 days...More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.