Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Horrible cramping
    An_264043 posted:
    I was diagnosed with IBS about a year ago and I get ibs spells about 3 times a month. For the past week, I have gotten horrible cramping after everything I eat to the point where I haven't been eating much of anything to avoid the pain. My school also just informed us that our water did not pass inspection and a bacteria (coliform) was found in the water. I would drink the water and use it to brush my teeth on a daily basis. Can someone give me some advice as to whether it's just a prolonged ibs spell or from the water?
    AllyKatzdillon responded:
    I don't know about your water, but if you are having a prolonged IBS spell of cramping, ask your Dr. for Dicyclomine. I just posted my story. I haven't had a "flare" in 5 months, got one this am, and this is my first flare since I got this prescription. I took my first dose, and my pain has gone away. It has left me feeling a bit sedated, but I'll take that any day over the cramping pain. Hope this helps!

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I was diagnosed at 16 yrs old with a nervous stomache and spastic colon. I am now 73 and I still have constipation/diahrea every few weeks. I asume it...More

    Helpful Tips

    ibs- charcoal
    have been diagnosed with ibs, it seems to effect me in the mornings everyday,with diarrhea. in the mornings i get up, have to go, then 5 ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    18 of 35 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.