Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    should I just wait or have tests done?
    An_267725 posted:
    I stopped taking birth control in February, had 1 period in March and then nothing since. It is now July. A few weeks ago I took a round of Progesterone to kick start my period, but that did not work. I had blood work done since the progesterone to rule out any thyroid or other issue. All the blood work came back normal. Now my doctor is recommending a pelvic ultrasound to make sure there aren't any lining issues.

    Should I just wait for the period or go ahead and have the test done? How common is it for waiting to get a period after going off regular oral birth control?
    editor_morgan responded:
    Hi there and thanks for posting,

    These are great questions for your doctor or the surgeon performing the surgery. He/she would know best about which conditions are best to perform that particular surgery and which would yield the most valuable results.

    Here is a link to information about Female Pelvic Ultrasounds on WebMD that you might find helpful .

    Please be sure to come back once you've spoken to your doctor and update us on how you're doing.

    Helpful Tips

    TTC Basics you need to know
    Ask yourself the following questions: What steps are you using to concieve?? Are your cycles regular? How long have you actively been ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    6 of 6 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Fertility Center