Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/pregnancy/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
    How are you paying for IVF?
    FrenchBulldogMom posted:
    I had a sonohystagram today and my doctor was able to say for sure that I do have another polyp. He wants to surgically remove it like he did to the other ones back in Feb. but he won't do it until we get ready to do an IVF cycle. That way, it minimizes the risk of me growing more before we can do a cycle.

Now we're down to the fun part: financing IVF. I really think we're going to have to get my dad to co-sign for a medical loan. My husband doesn't want to do this, but I'm ready to just borrow my dad's credit card and pre-pay for a few cycles and just pay him back later. I'm ready to get this done.

Of the people who have done or are considering IVF, what are some good loan/financing options that you've tried or are thinking about trying?

Thanks a lot, Mary

Take the Poll

How did you pay for IVF?
    • Bank Loan
    • Financing directly with clinic
    • 3rd party medical loan company
    • Co-signer medical loan
    • Other (please post details)
    vote
    View Poll Results
    FirstPrevious12NextLast

jlm76 responded:
    We had $10,000 worth of insurance coverage for anything IF related, so that covered initial testing and our IUI cycles and we had a bit to put toward IVF.

After that we used savings and our flex spending and lastly drugs went on credit cards.
    Jen (39), DH (36), plus one spoiled black lab (8). TTC since 1/2010; MC 6/10; IUI 1/11 - BFN; IVF converted to IUI 3/11-BFN; IUI 3 converted to IVF - 5/11.

KOOPERSMOM responded:
    Lurking...

IVF #1 we used a credit card and then drained our savings account to pay it off (resulted in DS)
    IVF #2 we were given a little bit of money by my in-laws and they loaned us the rest (BFP resulted in m/c...we still owe them aobut $4500.00)
    IVF #3 my Dad was left some family money from a cousin and my brother and I were each given about $10,000 (BFN)
    FET we used a credit card and we already have it paid off (currently 19 weeks pg)

Personally I was willing to use credit cards and money from our savings account or whatever it took. Our FET was our last try though. Does your clinic have the Attain program or something similar? A lot of clinics are offering that now adays, but you have to qualify for it.

Good luck.
    Sarah(36), DH(35), IVF/ICSI 1 DS-Kooper(2 years), IVF/ICSI 2 BFP with M/C at 9.5 weeks. IVF3 BFN. FET 3/4/11 1 hatching blast.

frankfortkate responded:
    IVF #1 - we maxed out a credit card and borrowed money from DH's brother (still owe him about $2500).

IVF #2-4 - new clinic, used Attain program. Cost $21,000 for 3 fresh and 3 frozen. If, after that, we don't take a baby home, we get 75% of our money back. To pay the $21,000, my mother took out a line of credit on her home. We just don't have enough equity on our home to do it. So, we pay off that loan.
    Kate(31), DH (31), 2 furbabies (Buster and TC), TTC 2 1/2 years, endo,IVF1 7/10 BFN, IVF2 11/10 BFN. IVF3 cx. IVF4 BFN...again...IVF5 now; 2 endo scorings, stims started 6/4, ET 6/15 fingers crossed

mosleyd36 responded:
    For IVF #1 my DH got a second job that he hated and did it for a few months which brough it half of what we needed (poor, sweet hubby). Both our parents contributed to the fund which mostly made up the difference but we had a year to save with some minor set backs along the way.

IVF #2, we don't have a lot of saved, only a couple thousand. We are borrowing the majority from my parents, interest free. It is really nice but it sucks to have be in debt. We are debt free except for our house and one car and it just makes my stomach turn to have to owe so much again. Oh well...what are you gonna do?
    Danielle (30) DH (32)...TTC since July '08. Severe MFIF. IVF/ICSI 1 9/10...BFN. IVF/ICSI 2...7/11. New RE consult 6/9/11.

susan1777 responded:
    I was an "other". IVF #1, drained savings and part credit card (we had no insurance coverage). #2 & #3 were both credit card, then refinanced our house to pay off the cards after we finally got DD from IVF#3 (we were lucky to not be in this housing market I guess).
    Was on ITSG since May of 2004....due to PCOS, tubal, and male factor issues, 5 years of TTC, numerous surgeries, IUI's, and 3 IVF's later, our little girl, Shelby Faith, was born on 5/29/09.

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
    My clinic does have Attain, but my BMI is too high to qualify for it. We're going to apply for free medicine from the drug companies, but this only covers about $3,000. The up-front cost of IVF is $9,500 and we're probably going to have to get my Dad to co-sign for us a loan. I wonder if we should probably go ahead and borrow $30,000 to cover 3 cycles or just do 1 at a time...

codysu responded:
    We paid $7K on credit card and drained our savings to cover the rest. I have also looked at the Attain program for IVF#2. We need ICSI so it is looking like $30K for us to do Attain, but I have no idea how anybody could afford that. I recently did some research and found a place that will give you loans for IVF. www.medloanfinance.com
    We may do the cash adv. on the credit card for round #2, if and when we make that decision. Good luck with your decision, I know it is a tough one!
    Cody (37) DH (45), IVF w ICSI AH 11/10, M/C 12/10, 3 IUI's 2/11-4/11-all BFN

frankfortkate replied to codysu's response:
    I wonder why your Attain would be more. Ours was $21,000 with ICSI. Of course, that doesn't include meds. We did the shared risk - 3 fresh and 3 FET.
    Kate(31), DH (31), 2 furbabies (Buster and TC), TTC 2 1/2 years, endo,IVF1 7/10 BFN, IVF2 11/10 BFN. IVF3 cx. IVF4 BFN...again...IVF5 now; 2 endo scorings, stims started 6/4, ET 6/15 fingers crossed

frankfortkate responded:
    Oh, and if you are prescribed Gonal-F, they have a discount card. I don't know exactly how to do it, my RE's office found it and enrolled me. You might ask when they order meds....

codysu replied to frankfortkate's response:
    It must be due to location or demand maybe? There aren't many offices in my area that are in the Attain program. I contacted CCRM and they have a great reputation but are also very expensive. With ICSI it was more than $30K for a 3 fresh/3 FET program. I am still doing the research in case we need to consider a different RE for another IVF, so I'm hoping there are more reasonable prices at other offices. The one we used for our last IVF charges $11K for each IVF, so if we had to do 3 fresh/3FET it would cost a little bit more than CCRM under Attain, so in my mind it doesn't seem worth it. At least I could pay for each cycle separately instead of trying to come up with all that money up front.
    Cody (37) DH (45), IVF w ICSI AH 11/10, M/C 12/10, 3 IUI's 2/11-4/11-all BFN

aprilcb responded:
    lurking...

I'm reading all of your posts how so many of you maxed out credit cards and borrowed from family and such. I'm so sorry all you ladies have to deal with the financial headache of paying for treatment on top of the heartbreak IF brings. I can't even imagine. I don't like to talk about how we paid, because we were extremely lucky. My insurance covers 100%, with nearly no limitations. All we ever had to pay were office co-pays and med co-pays. I wish all of you could have the same coverage.

With that said, the majority of my meds are gone. But I do still have an un-opened box of Menopur and some supplies (needles and syringes). If anyone is interested, let me know. Since I really didn't have to pay for any of it, I would only charge you what it costs to send to you (and if that ends up only being a few bucks, probably not even that). It'll save you probably $100 to $200 dollars. While its not a lot, every little bit helps.
    Don't give up hope, it can work! Cherie TTC 5 years, 3IUIs, 2 fresh IVFs,1 FET, EDD 11/1/11.

jlhill88 responded:
    We took out a personal loan to cover the IVF cycle ($10, 850) with our bank but we were able to pay out of pocket for all the meds($3,800). This time we are going to use a little of our savings and take out a loan to finish covering the IVF cycle($5,000) but still pay out of pocket for the meds($2338). The price for the second cycle was reduced because at our clinic the RE waves his fees since the first cycle didn't work. We got the first loan paid off very quickly are hoping to be able to do it again with this one.
    Jennifer(23) DH(25), TTC over 2 years for our first child, MFIF First IVF/ICSI ER 01/13/11, ET 01/18/2011-Transfered 2 day 5 blastocysts-chemical pregnancy. 1 Frostie left. Fresh IVF/ICSI July 2011.

LisaMomm responded:
    Insurance covers 50% of the procedure but non of the drugs. We have scrimped and saved. DW got a small settlement from a lawsuit so that helped pay for the drugs this round. We were careful and bought most of them from other families who had extras. It is taxing us to have to pay outright and we worry that our other two children may feel somewhat slighted for not getting new clothes and shoes right away. We are just praying it all works out. This is our second try and we just wont have the money to try again for a while.

frankfortkate responded:
    Don't forget that you can put all this on your taxes! We go a pretty decent tax refund because you can put all medical costs, including mileage for travel to and from the doctor's office.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Was on ITSG since May of 2004....due to PCOS, tubal, and male factor issues, 5 years of TTC, numerous surgeries, IUI's, and 3 IVF's later, our...More

Helpful Tips

TTC Abbreviations
    2WW: Two-week wait (until you can take a pregnancy test) AF: Aunt Flo(w), your menstrual period AH: Assisted Hatching (Assisting ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    55 of 56 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.