Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/pregnancy/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Interested in finding out where others are on their TTC journey? Then check out our Weekly List. Confused by all the abbreviations? We Have the Key!
    Secondary insurance for additional infertility coverage?
    ancillat posted:
    Something we've run into now that we're in the care of a reproductive endocrinologist and undergoing treatments is finding out how little our insurance actually covers. IUI and IVF are not covered at all, and neither are the various drugs I've had to take--progesterone and estrogen suppositories, Ovidrel, Clomid--it's costing in the thousands of dollars. Dealing with our insurance and the expense adds a whole other layer of stress that we really don't need! Has anyone had this happen, and gotten additional coverage? How do you go about it? And, has it been helpful?

Take the Poll

How much have you spent, out of pocket, on infertility treatments while TTC?
    • < $1,000.00
    • Between $1,000 and $5,000
    • Between $5,000 an $15,000
    • Between $15,000 and $25,000
    • > $25,000
    vote
    View Poll Results

susan1777 responded:
    Sadly everything in my entire journey was out of pocket except our insurance covered 50% of just the office visits...only the regular office visits...still had to meet the deductible before that. We spent nearly $30,000 in our 5 year journey. I live in MD and they are in infertility mandate state, but they have so many loopholes to that law that we didn't qualify (my husband worked for Fed Ex, which is a huge company which meets the number of employees stipulation, BUT something about they were privately funded on their insurance plan...that was their loophole). Our Dr tried to help patients w/ some of the meds if they had no coverage, if other ladies were able to donate their unopened extras, but my stubborn ovaries required lots of vials each cycle, so I think over the course of all of our IVF tries, I might've gotten like 1 or 2 vials at no cost.
    Luckily we were able to refinance our house at the time to pay for our last IVF cycle, and the balance from our 2nd attempt, and that covered it thank goodness, because that was our only option to pay for it.
    Good luck w/ your cycles...I hope you succeed well before you have to reach that dollar total.
    Was on ITSG since May of 2004....due to PCOS, tubal, and male factor issues, 5 years of TTC, numerous surgeries, IUI's, and 3 IVF's later, our little girl, Shelby Faith, was born on 5/29/09.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 31 and my DH is 34. We have been TTC since Oct 2008. My DH had Varicocele surgery in April 2010 but still no BFP. We just had our first IUI on Ma...More

Helpful Tips

Infertility treatment abroad will cost less!
    I had my treatment at http://45.gs/cyprusivf , I gotta mention that I travelled from NY to Cyprus for that, my accommodation and flights ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.