Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/arthritis/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

TNR pain and lack of progress
    dcdebdeb posted:
    I had a tnr on my left knee 4 months ago. I can get a 90 degree bend on my own, but painful. When I was still doing PT they could force it to a 95. My quality of life is much worse than before my surgery. I saw my dr 2 months ago, and he thought things were great, even tho I had 4 different PTs suggest the dr would want to do manipulation. The dr wrote in his report that I "magnify my concerns and symptoms". Before the surgery I could walk 3 miles with some pain, now I can't walk for more than 5 min. without problems. I use a cane when I'm out. Feeling very discouraged, trying to wait for awhile longer before I go back to the dr. Any suggestions???

okokokjohn responded:
    I'm also at 4 months out of TNR I have cramps at night but thats it. I quit taking Tylenol and started taking IBprophen because I felt I needed more circulation in my sore muscles and it helped tremendously. Also my Dr. believes in riding a exercise bike to get movement and gradually lowering the seat to get more bend in it and it works but it also hurts to but that goes away. The exercising, stretching and bike riding never ends, just gets better. I hate to say it but this is a no pain no gain deal.

okokokjohn responded:
    I'm also at 4 months out I have night cramps but thats it. I started taking Ibprophen instead of Tylenol I felt I needed more blood flow to my sore muscles and it worked. My Dr. believes in riding a exercise bike and lowering the seat gradually to get more bend and movement in it and it works. The exercising never will end but the pain will, I hate to say it but this is a no pain no gain deal. The healing process take over a year.

dcdebdeb replied to okokokjohn's response:

Thanks for your reply. I do need to get back to the gym and start on a bike. I'm getting better (?? sort of) with stairs. I've always exercised, but feel limited now. I take Aleve for the pain. Tylenol didn't work when I tried it for a couple of days last week, and swelling got worse. My
    dr. told me a couple months ago not to take anything for the pain. What??? He is nuts. I haven't tried Ibuprofen.

okokokjohn replied to dcdebdeb's response:
    I do not have any swelling but I do have muscle stiffnes and some cramps but thats it. Its stretch stretch stretch it never ends or the stiffness gets worse. I can bend down and get on it climb a ladder and do steps with no problem, I'm 100% better than before the surgery but its work and it hurts but it gets better. Dr says I can do anything but run and jump. Good luck to you!

Helpful Tips

Tips on options for hip replacementsExpert
    In today's competitive markets, many companies and surgeons are advocating and pushing their own prosthesis, when it comes to hip ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    32 of 42 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center