Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Continued pain after hip surgery
    MrWilsoninElPaso posted:
    In October I had arthroscopic surgery of the left hip for a work injury. I have been through several regimens of physical therapy and continue to have pain in that joint. I can't sleep on that side without waking up. Sometimes the ache is so pronounced and prolonged that I can't go back to sleep. There is an obvious change to my gait and it is painful to walk as I normally did. Transferring into or out of a vehicle is painful. I no longer have any 'explosive' movement (i.e., quickly standing from a kneeling position, quickly standing from a seated position, quickly moving from a standing position, pivoting under load or without). The doctor has not conducted an investigatory follow-up exam to discover the source of the pain and has instead moved to classify my restrictions under workmen's compensation as permanent, which may cost me my career in corrections. I developed bursitis in the knee that has compensated for the injured hip. Is it possible that I've developed bursitis in the affected hip and, if so, can it be corrected and my livelihood be saved?

    Helpful Tips

    Pain after Knee ReplacmentExpert
    For most people a knee replacement can predictably eliminate pain and restore function. This is not to say that the operation is not ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    59 of 76 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Joint Replacement Center