Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/lupus/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Methotrexate
    softee2 posted:
    Has anyone tried Methotrexate

RubyRed777 responded:
    I was taking that, but it only helped a little. The joint inflammation and pain returned while on this.

Prednisone works but nothing else takes away the pain. In case you don't know Prednisone is a steroid and most doctors won't prescribe it for long term use, so soon I will be searching for a new drug.

I haven't officially been diagnosed, but I'm about 98% positive that I have Lupus and Sjorgens. My income is small from teaching at a community college as an adjunct. I don't have insurance and finding a rheumatologist is difficult without money! I finally found one who will see me, but it will be at least a month.

My biggest hurdle is dealing with an emotionally abusive mother, who can't seem to understand that this condition is bad. She is acting like this is an inconvenience to her. Her own health issues and problems are worse than what I'm facing, in her mind. She's 70 and can run circles around me!!! I live with a martyr!

An_266564 responded:
    Yes, it seems to work well for me,but each person is different. It does tend to cause me to get mouth sores and sometimes sore throats. I have learned, if you take Lysine (OTC) at the first sign of mouth irritation it helps tremendously, and sometimes it will head it off completely. Also a healthy, diet, sufficient sleep and reduced stress will help stave off mouth sores. When you are taking methotrexate, you have to skip your dose when you are taking antibiotics, or if you are ill with things like a cold, flu, etc. as methotrexate does suppress the immune system. Also don't get discouraged because sometimes it takes weeks or months for you to get the full advantage of the medication. But I've found it to be better than most.

softee2 replied to An_266564's response:
    Thanks I'll not take that again since I've taken it the end of October I've had discomfort in my lower abdomen took a Catscan on Tuesday awaiting the results

Coping
    With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
    at work, or with family
    and friends.
    Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
    Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    94 of 124 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.