Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/womens-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Heavy Periods
    An_267688 posted:
    Greetings,
    I skipped a period last month for the first time and now my period is here and will not stop. I have had a physical, bloodwork, ultrasounds from the heart down of everything, and have seen 3 doctors. Everything was normal and nothing new. I have bloating in stomach area and breast go up and down in size.It is going on 2 weeks and my cycle is still here. Is there anything that can slow or stop it? I drink ginger and red raspberry tea. The doctors call it perio menopause. I am concerned due to the constant blood loss. The doctors say there is nothing to worry about unless I feel faint or dizzy. All help appreciated.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
    Dear An_267688,
    This type of bleeding is fairly common in the perimenopausal time period. Indeed, as we head towards menopause we stop ovulating well-and when we ovulate we make progesterone, which acts like the policeman of the lining of the uterus, to give us nice controlled periods. So a couple of thoughts: gvien that you have lost a fair amount of blood, it sounds like you might benefit from some iron tablets-over the counter iron, 325 mg tablets, one a day, could be helpful. Also to help control this type of bleeding, you might benefit from some progesterone therapy. Another possibility to help control bleeding like this would be a low dose birth control pill, if you are a good healthy candidate (non smoker, good blood pressure).
    So don't give up-and do check in with your health care provider, to make this transition easier for you.
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

zgreen0324 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
    Hello I am 51 years old and have been perimenopausal for a while now...my period had stopped for about a year but started back in January...and it has been on since then...I have only had a less than a handful of days that I was not bleeding...some days very heavy with clotting and bad cramping other day heavy spotting and again with cramping. Today as I type this I am in a lot of pelvic pain with heavy spotting. My OB/GYN has put me on a birth control pill and tells me to take 2 a day until the bleeding stops...it may stop for a day or two but comes right back...at this point I am very anemic...exhausted...I am taking a multi vitamin and iron. I do have fibroids but is there anything I can do about this constant bleeding and pain.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to zgreen0324's response:
    Dear zgreen0324,
    I presume that your gynecologist has sampled the lining of your uterus (a biopsy or even a D and C) to rule out any overgrowth of the lining of the uterus. Presuming that's normal, there are a few other options. You might be a candidate for a Mirena IUD - it is coated with progesterone, and for many women it significantly reduces the bleeding. Another possibility would be a transcervical resection of the fibroids and possibly a uterine ablation; this is less involved than a hysterectomy and could certainly be helpful.
    Do keep taking your iron, and do check in regularly with your gynecologist,
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

perimenapausal help that works for me.
    I'm 47 jus started expeiraning hot flashes again after not having them for 10Yrs. Now I'm not having periods for 2M Now and crave sugar for ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website