Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/womens-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Help!!!
    farrmb71 posted:
    I am 44. I have been dealing with hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, and heavy periods for the past 3 years. It is all getting worse! I have to use super plus tampons and pads ALL 5 to 7 days each month and I have to change at least every 2 hours. My doctor had ultrasounds done and they were normal. Should I think about going on birth control to see if it helps?

briz350 responded:
    3 years is a long time to be having this go on. Are you anemic?? Have you considered having an endometrial ablation if you are done with child bearing (which I assume you are if you're considering using BC pills). I had a friend who went through this. Nothing really addressed the heavy bleeds - BC pills, IUD, etc. She had an endometrial ablation and has been fine and almost bleed-free every since. I would discuss this option (and the BC pills if you want to go that route) with your doctor. Don't know how you've put up with such heavy bleeds for so long - you have far more patience than I would!! Good luck!

farrmb71 replied to briz350's response:
    Yeah 3 years has been h**l. Actually, it seems that things started going down hill after my youngest daughter was born. I had a tubal done during her birth via C-section. That was 17 years ago! As far as being anemic, my last blood work came back normal so I don't know. I just want and pray menopause hurries up!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to farrmb71's response:
    Dear farrmb71,
    An ablation is certainly a reasonable consideration; but I'd go for trying the low dose birth control pill first, if you are a good candidate for it. First, it's less invasive-it's not a procedure. But even more importantly, the pill, because it contains estrogen, will help with your hot flashes and night sweats; an ablation will just address the bleeding issue-so do give it some thought-
    good luck,
    Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Hot flash & Night sweat relief
    I am 51 and started perimenopause 6 years ago. I experience hot flashes and night sweats heavily every two weeks - the time I usually ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website