Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/womens-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]net

Edge of rope with 2 weeks of pre-period body aches/depression/nausea.
    Anon_124886 posted:
    Hi all,
    I am at my wit's end. I've spoken with all my doctors and they say I just need to "ride out" this point in my life until I go into menopause.

I'm 50 years old. Over the course of the last year my pre-menstrual symptoms have gone from bad to unbearable. And instead of it lasting 1 week it lasts 2+. During this time basically have 1 week a month where I feel good. For 2 weeks out of the month I have trouble sleeping (up all night at least 1 night even when I take a sleep aid), nausea, body aches - particularly my joints, headaches (often migraines), and depression.

My situation is complicated by the fact that I'm on coumadin and have endometriosis. Further complicated by the fact that I'm unable to exercise-- the last 3 years= 1) hip replacement 2) botched so 1 year later 2nd hip replacement 3) blood clot (pulmonary and cardiac) after 2nd hip surgery and now 4) from years of limping to avoid pain on left, a bad right knee - cartilage worn down and 5) back problems caused by trying to not walk on right knee. Ugh. #5 I hope is temporary. The orthopedic issues were the residual (20 years later) effect of a bad car accident in my 20s which also left me with the lovely gift of fibromyalgia.

This effects my work (hard to focus, stay motivated, ignore pain and headaches) and on weekends I get nothing done (I have to keep up a house by myself) and begin to hate myself.

Then, as if with the stroke of a magic wand, I get my period and I sleep. The next day the tension, pain, depression is POOF! gone.

Been to doctors who say that because of the endo and the blood clot history, I can't try hormonal thearapy. I do use a natural progresterone gel and for my fibro I'm on Lyrica, Cymbalata, and Trazadone. I've recently started taking Tumeric and also take vitamin D and do acupuncture (which helps with the fibro pain).

I'm sure my depression around this time is compounded by the fact that I've had some bad luck medically and have been fighting hard to reclaim my life after the various hospitalizations.

But the peri-menopause PMS is, as it occurs, just as bad as recovering from acute embolisms. But with it I'm told I can only "wait it out" while the quality of my life is devastatingly low 2 weeks out of every month.

I welcome all comments, suggestions, and support. Light at the end of the tunnel very much appreciated.

editor_morgan responded:
    Hi there,

There is such honesty in your post, and I thank you for sharing this with the rest of the menopause community. This post is a testament to how intense the struggle is to, as you put it, reclaim your life during perimenopause. With that and the other health issues that you are experiencing in mind, it seems as though you are in the fight out your life. And it is totally understandable that that "fight" has left you with certain battle wounds. Yes, physically, but also emotionally. Not only do you need to focus on your physical health, but you should also pay mind to your emotional health. Do you have someone that you can talk to?

Your strength through this process is evident. But you aren't alone in this.

We are here for you!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Hot flash & Night sweat relief
    I am 51 and started perimenopause 6 years ago. I experience hot flashes and night sweats heavily every two weeks - the time I usually ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website