Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Includes Expert Content
    Closed cervix, fluid cyst in uterus
    debstew posted:
    I had a transvaginal ultrasound and it was determined I had a fluid filled cyst or deposit. My gyno tried to do a biopsy, but my cervix is sealed shut. I had the endometrial ablation in 2013, and believe I'm post menopausal. She has now suggested a hysteroscopy and a D&C. She said everything else looked okay. Should I be worried about cancer? I don't find much information on uterus cysts.
    Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
    Dear debstew,
    It's unlikely that you have cancer; but I think a hysteroscopy and D and C are quite reasonable. You probably have a closed cervix from the combination of menopause and the ablation. You might check in with your gynecologist about using some vaginal estrogen for a few weeks before the procedure to help soften the cervix. And there is a medication called misoprostol which can help open the cervix-you take it for a couple of days prior to the procedure.
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

    Featuring Experts

    Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

    Helpful Tips

    perimenapausal help that works for me.
    I'm 47 jus started expeiraning hot flashes again after not having them for 10Yrs. Now I'm not having periods for 2M Now and crave sugar for ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website