Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/womens-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Continuously feeling hotter than usual
    Shortnsazzy posted:
    For the past few weeks, I've noticed that my body has been feeling hotter than usual. I have a low thyroid, so I've always been on the cooler side, but here lately, I can't seem to get cool enough. It's been making me feel queasy and I've had a bit of a headache with it. I feel that it is, or may be heat related because it has been really humid lately. I'll be 47 in November and I'm still on birth control, and fear getting off of them because I do not want to get pregnant at my age. My doctor wants me to stop them so she can see where I am at with my periods, and to find out if I am nearing, or in menopause. Has anyone experienced this rise in body heat? Do you have any tips to treat it?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
    Dear Shortnsazzy,
    Let me try this again; the site will be great in a few weeks-all the answers will come through. Being on the birth control pill (and I am assuming one containing estrogen) should be enough estrogen to control menopausal hot flashes. If it is the progesterone only pill (so called minipill) you might want to talk with your provider about switching to a pill with estrogen, as long as your healthy (a non smoker, good blood pressure) and able to do so. It truly is really hot out there for the last few weeks-and hot weather makes all hot flashes worse. Also, you mentioned thyroid issues: if you are developing hyperactivity, which occasionally can happen, you could well develop heat intolerance. So if you haven't had your thyroid functions checked in the past few months, you might want to do so. And there are many other more unusual causes of heat intolerance-so do not hesitate to check in with your provider.
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Hot flash & Night sweat relief
    I am 51 and started perimenopause 6 years ago. I experience hot flashes and night sweats heavily every two weeks - the time I usually ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website