Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/womens-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    New Menopause Medication ???
    TexasRed40 posted:
    I have heard about a new Menopause medication it is touting itself as "The Menopause Solution" the name of the stuff sounds like AMBERIN - or AMBERLIN - but neither of those is correct - I heard the Advertisement on XM Radio and have been trying to reach them for information for over a week and leaving messages - has anyone heard about this ?? I have gained 60 pounds since my historectomy two years ago and I am miserable - am taking Metformin for an Insulin inbalance and they say my pituitary is out of balance - I have the hot flashed and then go to freezing - anyway any information would be greatly appreciated

An_242614 replied to Polish59's response:
    Check this out: http://www.womentowomen.com/menopause/postmenopausal-healthtips.aspx ?

An_242614 replied to vlbrown_2010's response:
    Check this out: http://www.womentowomen.com/menopause/postmenopausal-healthtips.aspx ?

An_242614 replied to menocrazy's response:

bduket replied to chelsbx's response:

Rired9192 replied to supagirl2's response:
    Here is a link to one person's comments about using Amberin.

http://www.thegeneralgazette.com/2010/05/19/amberen-reviewed-my-experience-with-this-100-all-natural-remedy/

DebbieinPHX replied to supagirl2's response:
    Actually, I have been battling this thing for the last five years and before this hit I was an exercise nut, always have been. So of course my answer was exercise..that didn't work, so I did more exercise..and more. Long story short I was consuming 1200 calories a day an working out 14 times a WEEK, and some of the work outs were three hours long. Guess what? I could NOT lose weight. That alone just blew not only my mind but my personal trainer's mind.

So I went to doc after doc trying to get answers. It was a hideous, humiliating, expensive was of time. Finally I got a valuable referral to a doc six months ago that specialized in hormone replacement plus thyroid.

Let me tell you, the creams and little pills are just crap. And now I know why I have lost some weight...not as much as I would like however, as I understand it, it takes a pretty long time (the non-working thyroid in addition to low hormones is a major drag). I am on bio-identical hormones that are tiny pellets which are injected into your body once every 4 months.(no more ups and downs and surges in feeling great on minute and then like poop the next) Like I said, I am improving, gradually, but I will say this, I probably "look" 10-15 years younger...at least that's what my friends and family tells me. Don't ask me how that works, I have no idea, but thyroid controls hormones and hormones do the rest. So good luck! The bio-identicals I take are from a national clinic chain called Sotto Pelle. You might want to check them out. I wish you well.

csnyder66 responded:
    I'm looking for the same thing. I heard it on the radio the other day. I started taking womens one a day menopause formula aand it's helped

pinkattitude replied to raeran's response:
    I have all the same symptoms as you & also daytime hot flashes, have gained 25/30lbs in just a matter of a couple of months. On top of it I have hypothyroidism that none of my doctors can seem to keep regulated for very long & it's been almost 10yrs of that now. I am 50 had hysterectomy 14yrs ago that left me with one ovary. I have tried all the over the counter meds, they help some but thats it. If Amberen works, why do the doctors not know about it, why can't you buy it over the counter ? My family does not want me to have anything to do with the hormone therapy because my aunt died of breast cancer, but like everyone here I am sick and tired of beig sick and tired ! Glad to have a place to post and see others.

Lookin for that Cure as well !!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to pinkattitude's response:
    Dear pinkattitude,
    Just a couple of things to think about. Of course you have a very slight increased risk of getting breast cancer because your aunt did have it, but it's not a huge increased risk. And if you look at the data from the Women's Health Initiative, in women who had a hysterectomy, they did not note any increased risk of breast cancer in women taking estrogen alone (if you have had a hysterectomy, you don't need to take progesterone), and that was for a seven year duration of therapy. So taking estrogen is not a situation of stirring up a problem with a family history. So do not dismiss estrogen as a potential therapy. And you can use a small dose of transdermal estrogen in a patch form or a gel form, which is indeed bioidentical, if that's something you're interested in.
    And if you can get your hypothyroidism under control, that will also help you metabolically. And of course a good exercise program will help both menopausal symptoms and weight.
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

prancing_paws replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
    Dr. Minkin,
    4 months ago DebbieinPHX posted about bio-identical hormone pellets injected under the skin. Would you comment on that please? I have not heard of this therapy.
    As many here, I have been dealing with menopause 'treats' for about 10 years. It's like being sick all the time.
    thank you

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to prancing_paws's response:
    Dear Prancing_paws,
    There are some folks who do implant estrogen (and even testosterone sometimes) in pellet forms. I tend to think that the use of transdermal patches and gels (which we have for estrogen-for testosterone we need to get a compounded topical gel from a compounding pharmacy) work better than the implants. The reason is that with the pellets, folks tend to get a very significant "high"-a quick release of a lot of the hormone, and then the levels tend to fall reasonably quickly; if you apply patches or gels topically, you control the dosing much more readily. And the transdermal estrogens we have commercially available are indeed bioidentical; so why not use a regulated product, and avoid the highs and lows.
    Hope that's helpful,
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

cdaniel3777 replied to supagirl2's response:
    I also just found out that I am going through Menopause at the age of 41. I have hot flashes, no peroids, hair is thinning, ssex drive gone, gained 35 pounds, and mood swings. This just sucks because I feel I got short changed on some years. My doctor told me the next step was to go see a Obgyn for some medican. One can only hope that there is a really good drug out there now cause I feel as if iam a hole different person know and I dont like it.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to cdaniel3777's response:
    Dear cdaniel3777,
    Yes, you are certainly young to be doing this, but it does happen. 1% of women are menopausal by age 40. The good news is that yes, there is certainly good help available for you. You should be on some hormonal medication; for young women such as yourself, the benefits certainly outweigh any risks you have read about; and you should feel better soon. Yes, you should see a gynecologist, who feels comfortable taking care of women with early menopause.
    Now a couple of other things to think about. The sexual issues may be menopausal, or some other issues can be involved; do read the item I wrote about low sex drive. The other issue is the weight gain. It would be very unusual to gain this much weight just related to menopause. So if you haven't had thyroid function tests checked, do get some levels done (it's easy to check). And the other thing is that once you are feeling a bit better, do get involved in a regular exercise regime; you will feel better, and it will help get rid of the extra weight for you.
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

MelanieC57 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
    Like many of you, I also have low thyroid (Hashimoto's) & just had blood work confirming menopause 12 years after a hysterectomy leaving both ovaries. Symptoms have been similar to low thyroid so it's been confusing for me & my 2 doctors...an internist & endocrinologist. Because the internist is my primary doc & has my "female" records, the endo suggested she treat the menopause. At yesterday's appointment I was prescribed gabapentin for the night sweats. I took it last night & slept well, but woke up groggy. I'm not familiar with the drug & just read of its many side effects. Weight gain & inability to stop the drug immediately are definite concerns as I just lost 7 "thyroid" pounds with another 10 to go. Many of the OTC remedies are heavy in soy, which I can't take due to my thyroid. Are the estrogen patches my best option?

Anon_6061 replied to MelanieC57's response:
    IMO patches are better than pills for estrogen - easier on the liver. Estrogen can "compete" with thyroid hormone so just be aware of that. If you're on thyroid meds, you may need to tweak the dose after starting estrogen. But since night sweats are a symptom of low estrogen, it seems logical to supplement with estrogen instead of taking a drug for seizures and neuropathy.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
    Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    33 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website