Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    unknown lump
    casey5114 posted:
    I have a solid lump underneath the skin, on the shaft of my penis. It is simply a lump. There is no discomfort, discoloration or itching. There has not been any unsafe sexual activity, so those issues do not need to be considered. After searching several medical websites, I finally found a picture that resembled it. The picture was of an infected hair follicle. Reading about the causes hit home, one of the first causes listed was shaving of the genitals which I have been doing. I have discontinued shaving and have begun wiping with Bactine after bathing, coating with an antibacterial ointment, and covering with a bandage. I have only been doing this for 3 days now, but am curious how long it should take to show improvement, and or if it is an issue that should require a doctor visit
    atti_editor responded:
    Hi casey5114,

    If you are still not seeing any improvement with your home treatment methods, it might be a good idea to consult a doctor. Here is some more information on ingrown hairs and what your doctor may be able to do to help. Please let us know how you are doing!

    Best wishes,

    Helpful Tips

    sex talk
    my bf and i can't have sex together. he can get an erection but he can't ejaculate. for long time i thought it was me but with on going ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    6 of 12 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.