Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/pain-management/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManage[email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Adipex-P for Migraine Control
    snipes8023 posted:
    My neurologist has put me on Adipex-P (Phentermine) for migraine control. I know it is a weight loss pill. Is anyone else on it for migraines? What effects?
    FirstPrevious12NextLast

bjam95 replied to bjam95's response:
    GLAG TO HEAR ANOTHER PERSON HAS EXPERIENCED THE SAME RESULTS WITH ADIPEX AND HOW IT ENDS MIGRAINES. I have also heard that taken with Topomax is also beneficial! Every "professional" I have talked to claims that there is not any medical study that has been done to prove what we are claiming so they dismiss what we have come to know as fact. I suggest then that "they" do a study!!!

tillett78 replied to dlc1895's response:
    I am just curious if all that have gained relief from migraines with adipex use have typically low blood pressure. I too have suffered from chronic migraines since I was 15. At 22 I temporarily (3 months) lost vision in my left eye. I have had test after test ran, MRI after MRI and no reason as to why. I have always struggled with my weight and hAve taken adipex on and off for years. After becoming a nurse, I wanted more answers. I had tried literally every medication on the market for some Kind of relief. I have a headache daily with migraines 2-3 times a week on a good week up to daily. I did get some relief from topamax but was not happy with the side effects. I have always had very low blood pressure and started to notice that when I took the adipex my blood pressure would raise to normal and no headache. I told my neurologist my thoughts and how I was migraine free daily and headache free daily when I took the adipex. She dismissed it as if I was insane. Since then I have used the medication on and off and still get relief but can't get a doctor to listen. So if there is any research out there related to this please someone point me in the right direction.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
    Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    83 of 112 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center