Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/pain-management/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Adipex-P for Migraine Control
    snipes8023 posted:
    My neurologist has put me on Adipex-P (Phentermine) for migraine control. I know it is a weight loss pill. Is anyone else on it for migraines? What effects?
    FirstPrevious12NextLast

DUKE MEDICINE
    Timothy Collins, MD responded:
    There are no published reports or studies suggesting that phentermine is in any way effective for migraine headache prevention. It is a little like amphetamines, and could potentially cause increased blood pressure (and headaches from that) as a side effect.

Its apparently been used with low dose topamax for weight loss, but I can't find any references to suggest it helps headaches.

snipes8023 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
    Thanks. It really seems to be very effective for me in controlling my headaches but I wondered if other people had been prescribed it for headaches. I am going to talk to my neurologist at my next appointment regarding side effects if I am on it for an extended period of time since all my looking on the web says it is for short term weight loss. I have had migraines since I was 16 (now 65) and this is the first thing that has really controlled them for me. I have gone from 6 a month minimum to only three since October of 2010.

Thanks for your input.

rachel33333 replied to snipes8023's response:
    I actually just started researching this issue bc I started taking adipex for weight loss and the side effect was that I was migraine free for 2 months. A month after stopping adipex I started getting them again and have since had about 9 of them. I'm going to see my neurologist and internist on Monday to see if it's a valid way to prevent migraines. It is the only thing thats ever worked for me. Anyone else have any input as it relates to adipex and migraine prevention??

carpetcrawler5 replied to rachel33333's response:
    I looked it up and it said you shouldn't take it long term because of side effects it causes. Also you might have withdrawalls trying to get off of it. That's interesting that it helps you, it's basically speed.

msbirdy responded:
    i've suffered from migraines since i was a child (i'm now 27 years old)..... i've had sinus surgery to correct it, didn't help. i've been put on, maybe literally, every migraine medicine imaginable and nothing has even come close to helping them..... i'd say on average i've had several a week..... some weeks i might have one, while other weeks i have one everyday.

about 6 or 7 months ago i started taking adipex to loose a little weight. i noticed after about a week i hadn't had even the slightest bit of a headache.... i went to my cousin, who is a doctor, to talk with her about it as she has been helping me for years try to figure out why i can't get relief from them. she said it was the craziest thing she had ever heard.... if anything i should be getting headaches from them. she took my blood pressure, which is always low.... we're thinking maybe the adipex was raising my blood pressure just enough.... but can't figure it out for sure.....

i've since had to stop taking adipex and the migraines have returned

melakall replied to msbirdy's response:
    I'm a chronic migraine sufferer, too, and have taken adipex recently for weight loss and have been migraine free for 2 months. I talked with my doctor who dismissed this information. I would like to share it with someone because I think it matters. Many drugs are taken for other than what they were designed, and I wonder if adipex could be another one?

spelfury responded:
    I was a chronic migraine suffer for YEARS. Nothing worked. My doctor gave me Adipex and I never had a headache while on the drug for five months. Having been off the drug for several months I have had a three very mild migraines that I treated with OTC pain killers.

I am forever grateful.

suecruzen replied to spelfury's response:
    I too am a chronic migrainer. All my life with no relief. This is the second time I have taken Adipex in my life, for weight, and low and behold, no migraines, not even a tiny one. So going from 20 or more a month to zero is fantastic. But my neurologist refuses to listen. I know I can't continue to take Adipex the rest of my life but after researching the chemistry and workings of these drugs, they do basically the same things as Effexor and Adderal, with slight differences. So I'm going to talk again to my doctor in hopes of new relief and studies for others.

Best of luck to others

An_263321 replied to suecruzen's response:
    I also found that I was migraine free when I was prescribed phentermine; in fact, I don't recall being ill at anytime whilst using it either? I have chronic tension headache and episodic migraines (I get them in clusters about every 6 weeks, often lasting for two weeks on end). My liver function tests also improved whilst using phentermine (they were raised after having severe glandular fever). It's possible that this was a result of my diet (reduced calorie intake), however for me it was nothing short of a miracle pill - it was great while it lasted!

melakall replied to An_263321's response:
    I took Adipex again for weight loss for 3 months. I did lose 18 lbs, but more importantly for me, I was again migraine free.

Additionally, when my prescription was DAW (dispensed as written, meaning 'name brand') I didn't need to take my nightly .25 mg of Mirapex for restless leg. When I received the generic, my migraines still remained abated, but I did need the Mirapex.

I don't know how Adipex negatively affects me, but there is definitely something going on here that positively eliminates my migraines & restless leg.

bjam95 responded:
    WOW!!! FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE DISCOVERING THE SAME THING THAT I DID. I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM MIGRAINE HEADACHE'S FOR YEAR'S AND ON A FLUKE TOOK ADIPEX FOR WEIGHT LOSS. SUDDENLY, MY HEADACHES STOPPED TWO DAY'S LATER! I CONSULTED MY FAMILY DOCTOR AND HE THOUGHT I WAS "NUTS" AND WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO TAKE ADIPEX FOR MORE THAN ONE MONTH. I SWITCHED DOCTOR'S BECAUSE OF THIS AND FOUND A PHYSICIAN WHO WOULD ALLOW ME TO TAKE ADIPEX FOR MORE THAN A MONTH UNDER HER CONSTANT MONTHLY SUPERVISION. SHE TOO HAS NEVER HEARD OF ADIPEX HELPING WITH MIGRAINES! SO, AFTER TWO MONTHS WITH NO MIGRAINE'S I DECIDED TO STOP TAKING ADIPEX FOR A WEEK. I DIDNT LAST TWO DAY'S BEFORE MY MIGRAINES WERE BACK! WENT BACK ON ADIPEX AND THE NEXT DAY MY MIGRAINES DISAPPEARED. I HOPE SOME TYPE OF MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL LOOKS INTO THIS BECAUSE I HAVE TAKEN "EVERY" MIGRAINE MEDICATION OUT THERE AND NOTHING HAS WORKED LIKE ADIPEX!

bjam95 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
    DOC, ADIPEX ENDED MANY YEAR'S OF MIGRAINES FOR ME. I HAVE GONE FROM 2-4 MIGRAINES A WEEK BEFORE ADIPEX TO ZERO SINCE I HAVE BEEN TAKING ADIPEX THE LAST 3 MONTH'S!

Scottssug replied to bjam95's response:
    I have also suffered from migraines for almost 30 years. I probably average at least 9 a month. Some lasting 4 days at a time. I went on a weightloss program last year and was prescribed adipex. I did not have a single migraine while on the medication. I thought it was the diet which was basically Atkins so when my migraines returned I recreated the diet but without the adipex. ( I had written down every meal for 6 months so I was able to follow it exactly) My migraines did not go away.

Two weeks ago I joined another weightloss program and was given phentermine (generic adipex) and I have been migraine free since taking the first pill. I am NEVER migraine free for two weeks!!

I'm so glad others have experienced the same results. I really hope to find a doctor that will listen.

dlc1895 responded:
    I have been a chronic migraine sufferer since age 15...I am now 39. I take zonegran daily for preventative. I have had neck/disc surgery. Tried every type of other preventative medication and natural health / alternative medicine - changed my diet, etc....and nothing works. I also get botox quarterly. Currently I'm down from suffereing 12-15 per month to 8-9 a month. About a month ago I started taking Adipex for mild weightloss since I'm limited on what type of working out I can do...used to be an endurance runner. I've had 1 migraine in that month. It has to be the adipex! Are there any other similar drugs you can stay on like Adipex...what about Adderall or Ritalin?

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
    A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    53 of 70 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center