Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/pain-management/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Anyone want to try something else?
    xander79 posted:
    I recently was going out with a woman who was in the top lists of people with migraines she told me. I came up with a few ideas that she didn't get to put into exercise due to her doctor not agreeing to such. If anyone with much milder migraines cares to give any of these a try, and let others know if they work, your welcome to them.

[blockquote>http://forums.webmd.com/3/migraines-and-headaches-exchange/forum/1822?pg=1[/blockquote>
    Serotonin seems a key chemical necessary for your brain to function. On the WebMD there is a page that talks about this syndrome. The forum link listed above speaks about one of the drugs used to cause serotonin syndrome. If though, you are low in serotonin, and need more of it instead..it may cure it as this thread in the forum descirbes. Two of them that are legal are St Johns Wort, and Ginseng tea. Compared to the prescription drug, larger doses may be needed to equal the dietary drug.

The second idea was for air pressure. She spoke of rain causing migraines, as it is known to do in other people as well. Mostly due to the change in air pressure. There are oxygen concentrator units which are machines, that produce oxygen. They have dials to change the air pressure flow on them. I am curious if anyone has or would be able to try to use one of these and see if changing the oxygen flow would have an affect on such migraines.

supportivegf responded:
    l

rosielou responded:
    Hi xander79

Thanks for your interest. Serotonin is an interesting topic, but has an element of risk associated with it. Serotonin syndrome can be fatal, it's not a minor side effect. Dosages in St. John's wort and ginseng tea aren't always reliable. Anyway, I believe this is best addressed by medical professionals, because there are also many medication interactions to be considered. Please refer to rxlist.com for more info on that.

And the air pressure trigger can't be managed by an air flow valve. Otherwise, don't you think the millions of us with that particular trigger would be using them? It's one of the most common migraine triggers.

I realize this post sounds as if I'm annoyed or at best tired of this discussion. Well we migraineurs have these types of conversations frequently where people suggest cures or treatments. There is no 'cure' for migraines at this time.

Please go to https://migraine.com/blog/the-migraine-dirty-dozen-things-not-to-say-to-a-chronic-migraineur/

Most of us are in staggering pain on a regular basis, and have been for a long time. I'm 58 and have had migraines for over 50 years, yippee skippee. We have a team of medical professionals helping us. We've learned what works or doesn't work for us. Most of us stay up to date on current medical publications, medications, trials, etc.

We KNOW our disease. We are not helpless rag dolls, Warriors or Migraine Monsters be a better description. And chances are we've tried every iteration of Rx, medical, and folk treatment out there.

So thanks for your offer of help, but please dig deeper and ask questions before offering a Cure. This isn't a minor affliction, please treat it with the same respect you'd give similar life altering diseases.

Thanks for indulging me... ... Rose

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
    Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    83 of 112 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center