Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/pain-management/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Need Help! Headache lasting two weeks!
    talgikiwi posted:
    I am a 19 year old female and I've been dealing with a non-stop headache for over 2 weeks now. I was taking extra strength migraine medication (over the counter) for about a week and 5 days. Then, I picked up this tension headache medicine (the only difference is the lack of aspirin), and I've noticed it's not as helpful. I'm going to be switching back to the old migraine medicine tomorrow.
    My headaches themselves seem to fluctuate with my activity level, amount of verbal communication (so talking for long periods of time makes it worse), and emotional distress. This makes me think it may have something to do with my blood pressure.
    The headaches are typically either on the right side of my face or the left. They are rarely across my entire head. Sometimes they are just painful around my forehead, sometimes they dip down all the way into my cheekbone. Rubbing my temples doesn't help at all, and actually makes it hurt more. I've been told ice packs would help. They seem to soothe the pain just a bit, but once my head absorbs enough of the cold, the headache gets worse.
    I'm a pretty stress free person, so I don't think this is stress related. But I am about to start my first semester of college, and going into college with constant headaches wouldn't really be helpful.
    Now, most of you will tell me to go see a doctor. Which I would love to do. But unfortunately, I have no money, no insurance, and no way to get to a hospital. It's just not in the cards for me to get checked out right now. Any information or tips you can provide would help so, so much. I appreciate any responses! Thank you!

rosielou responded:
    Hi,

The first thing, which may sound odd, is to stop the over the counter pain medication. That alone may stop the headache after a day or two. There are "medication overuse" headaches, especially with OTC pills, please google that for good explanations. And there are lots of dangers with taking too much acetaminophen, aspirin, and NSAIDs. So please stop taking them now, show your stomach and liver some love : ) Use ice and warmth for comfort.

Start taking magnesium 600mg, butterbur in Petadolex form 75mg morning and night, and riboflavin 400mg, and a good multivitamin. Eat decent food and avoid too much junk.

If you have migraines, and can't afford medical help, start keeping a headache diary to maybe learn triggers to avoid. Migraine.com might help. Perhaps you'll be able to use a student clinic when school starts.

Good luck. ..Rose

wlorylee52 responded:
    I know some people are against Obama Care, but I signed my son up and he gets Blue Cross Insurance that we picked out and will get a rebate on his taxes. You should ask you Drs office for numbers of organizations that will help you. I did it myself and it wasn't that hard. If you don't have any money and no health insurance you should look into it, even if you don't care for Obama. I also had migraines at a young age and still managed good grades but I missed a lot of school and it was really hard for me. I was taking triptipans and they helped but now I cant take that anymore. They are very expensive and you need insurance to afford them.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
    A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    53 of 70 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center