Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    what to expect at the Rheumatologist?
    TeresaMae58 posted:
    I went to a Neurologist and have all the symptoms of MS. but nothing positive is showing up yet, he agreed something is wrong and said to either go to more specialist or the Mayo Clinic.
    So my main DR. is sending me to a Rheumatologist on the 24th.........what do they do?

    does any one know what a Rheumatologist is going to do or what I should expect. are they going to be any help to me?
    hackwriter responded:

    A rheumatologist diagnoses and treats connective tissue diseases such as RA and Fibromyalgia. Your neuro might have referred you to one to rule out those conditions. The symptoms are very similar to MS but they don't affect the CNS or cause brain/spine lesions.

    It wouldn't be a waste of time to see a rheumatologist; ruling out connective tissue disorders would narrow the field of possibilities. It's also possible to have a connective tissue disease AND MS, so if you happen to test positive, you can have that condition treated while continuing to test for MS.

    Lots of people get a Fibromyalgia diagnosis prior to an MS diagnosis, either because Fibro was a misdiagnosis or because the patient has more than one disease. I have several friends who have both RA and MS.

    Seeing an MS specialist for a second opinion is also a good idea. You could do both. It's your call.

    xperky responded:
    Hi TeresaMae58, I agree with Teresa. I think you may find a visit to the rheumy worth your time.

    My neurologist diagnosed me with 'possible MS' but my lesions are not typical of MS. He suggested a rheumatologist. The rheumy will most likely run lots of blood tests to rule out Lupus, RA, and other rheumatic diseases. I got the FM diagnosis along with possible Inflammatory Arthritis.

    Who knows, you may have FM, and can get treatment for your symptoms. FM is difficult to live with, but it doesn't kill us. It just feels like it sometimes!

    It's a long road to get any of these diagnoses. In the meantime, I hope you are doing things to make yourself more comfortable every day.
    TeresaMae58 replied to xperky's response:
    I don't know exactly what to do to make myself comfortable. Sometimes I just hug my Great Pyrenees and go to bed. Other days when I get out of the shower and can't walk I will lay on the bed till my feet and legs stops paining. then the other day I just curled up into a ball and my husband rubbed my hair till I fell asleep.
    Until a dr. knows something I don't know anything else to do..

    That is why I love this site, it gives me a peace.

    Featuring Experts

    Stephanie knows multiple sclerosis as a patient and as a nurse. Stephanie was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2013. Shortly after being diagnosed...More

    Helpful Tips

    certified nursing assistant (CNA)
    I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.