Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/multiple-sclerosis/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Using Handicap Parking Spots When you Live with an "Invisible" Illness
    Stephanie Butler, RN posted:
    I thought this was a particularly interesting, and true, post from the National MS Society's Blog. The author discusses what it's like to use a handicap parking spot when you have an invisible illness, and the judgement and even bullying that you may experience as a result-

https://www.msconnection.org/Blog/February-2016/The-Normal-Paradox

"Have you ever been in a situation where you park in a disabled stall and then act worse than you feel when you get out of the car? I know I have. It stinks, too, because I feel like I need to "look the part" if I don't want to be judged."

Becca33160 responded:
    Unfortunately, I have never even had to consider the issue, since I look disabled and have difficulty walking.

zaljo65 responded:
    I appreciate all the posts but you owed to yourself to live the best you can, in my case i had all the same problems only I'm an American hispanic origen, look hispanic and speaking with an acent so i have been through a lot...most people are good people, the others some ignorants don't worry about them...Have somebody told you that they will call the cops to report you for using handicap space because you are 6 feet tall and looks healthy...?

Stephanie Butler, RN replied to zaljo65's response:
    I completely agree with you, we do owe it to ourselves to live the best lives that we can. Thank you for your insight, zaljo65.

Stephanie Butler, RN replied to zaljo65's response:
    I completely agree with you, we do owe it to ourselves to live the best lives possible. Thank you for your insights, zaljo65.

doriana07 responded:
    I really couldn't care less what others think. Just because I walk in a place fairly normal does not mean I will leave the same. Usually I don't. There is enough to be concerned about, no way will I wonder what other people think or say. Honestly, no one has ever done anything other than offer help. You may be staring at them? Something to ponder...

Stephanie Butler, RN replied to doriana07's response:
    That's a good point doriana07. I do think that at times we are overly self-conscious or worried about what others think, when in reality nobody is paying attention However, I have heard some stories from fellow MSers about people confronting them in public so it goes both ways.

Brat62 responded:
    I am currently 31 and have been fighting with ms for 4 years now. I am permanently on a cane and I get grief a lot because I dare to park in a handicap space. And I do walk with a cane and show a physical disability people seem to react to my age and faster looking car. It seems like the elderly are the primary people who are nasty to me and the very occasional caregiver. A couple of years ago I was able to park in regular spots (unless things were very very bad) and would go out of my to not park in handicap just to avoid the nasty look, snide comment and outright nastiness. I have also had people purposely run shopping carts into my car. So far I have avoided saying anything (somehow) but I am at a breaking point and will eventually get rude and nasty back.

Stephanie Butler, RN replied to Brat62's response:
    It's so sad that you have had to deal with that kind of treatment. I know one person that also frequently experienced backlash for parking in handicapped spots and she was also starting to get to the point of lashing out. She decided to instead start carrying a flyer about multiple sclerosis and tried to turn it into an opportunity to spread MS awareness, and also to avoid getting sucked into an argument. I don't think we should have to deal with it at all, but I do think she has the right idea...

Stephanie Butler, RN replied to Brat62's response:
    It's so sad that you have to deal with that kind of treatment. I know one person that also frequently experienced backlash for parking in handicapped spots and she was also starting to get to the point of lashing out. She decided to instead start carrying a flyer about multiple sclerosis and tried to turn it into an opportunity to spread MS awareness, and also to avoid getting sucked into an argument. I don't think we should have to deal with it at all, but I do think she has the right idea...

Featuring Experts

Stephanie knows multiple sclerosis as a patient and as a nurse. Stephanie was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2013. Shortly after being diagnosed...More

Helpful Tips

Reliv does work
    I thought Reliv was a hoax too. But it's not. You need to take it regularly and consistently and it proves miracles. My mom was diagnosed ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.