Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/parenting/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Wheatgrass for Eczema
    KatieS83 posted:
    I'm going crazy with DS skin, i've tried everything! Have any of you heard of using Wheatgrass spray on eczema to help relieve the symptoms as oppose to using steroid creams? I just cant seem to get his skin to calm down, and the allergist is being anything but useful continually telling me "it takes time for the skin to fully heal etc etc" I told him yesterday, the skin cant heal if it keeps flaring up! He says to use Aveeno, which i've been using right along and to moisturize DS skin, which i've been trying to find a moisturizer that works with his skin, I now have a shelf of almost 10 moisturizers that cant be used and tons of money down the drain, every time i got near DS with a bottle moisturizer he screams and tries to run away. Hes fine with aquaphor (granted he wiggles a lot but little to no fussing), the allergist swears just using aquaphor isnt enough, as its only a skin protectant and not a moisturizer.Everything i've read on wheatgrass swears is safe for LO's i was wondering if anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with this?
    FirstPrevious12NextLast

RunninMama replied to KatieS83's response:
    I personally know how your little guy feels when it comes to trying different skin care products. I really should be a guinea pig for any product claiming to be for sensitive skin. I can assure the manufacturers that 90% of them aren't. And as your son can attest, some burn. Especially when the skin is already stressed. I sure hope you are able to find relief for him soon!

roni090909 replied to RunninMama's response:
    I am a little late here but our pedi has DS bathing in Dove Sensitive, she said even Aveeno in the bath is harsh on the skin. I use J&J Vanilla Oatmeal on his head and then the Dove on his body. It has helped. My DS is also on a steroid ointment. I don't know what its called. I only use it when he's flaring up. Prior to the ointment she suggested hydrocortizone cream. It didn't really do much for him but its worth a shot if you haven't tired it.

KatieS83 responded:
    bought the Sea salt tonight, plopped him in the tub knock on wood this was the first bath in a long time he didnt scratch the entire time, and when i plucked him out slapped some Aquaphor on him, he didnt even wiggle an inch, he actually laughed. so My fingers are crossed that this might give him some relief! Thank you ladies as always!

sbgldngrl replied to KatieS83's response:
    yay!!! im glad i really hope it works!
    i was so happy to figure this out for us and have decided that my allergist is a highly overpaid idiot. when we told him about our discovery he was all "ok-if it works stick with it BUT here's another Rx in case" :rolleyes:

KatieS83 responded:
    was just wondering how long did you all use the sea salt bath? How frequently? When the symptoms cleared up what was your Maintenance method? my fingers are crossed, we've used the bath 2 nights now and he will go all day and not bother his skin until about 6pm (i usually throw him in the tub at 6:30). I just dont want to lose this great thing thats happening, i'm actually not afraid to leave him shirtless (since its 90 degrees outside), his hot spots are basically gone. I could faint LOL.

RunninMama replied to KatieS83's response:
    Great news!! I'm so happy to hear you little guy is doing better!

we just did it with every bath for quite a few months...we now just do it every so often but probably for atleast 6mo with every bath. i probably didnt have to do it htat long but his skin was so good i didnt want to mess with a good thing, KWIM. we bought big containers of the salt at whole foods for like 2 bucks.

KatieS83 replied to sbgldngrl's response:
    I totally hear you!! I bought one medium sized tub at wal mart for $5, but it only does 4 baths (if i use it according to directions). I will spend some time looking for the best deal i can find, I told DH today that when we get a kiddie pool, we are putting sea salt in it LOL

we never measured out an amount...we would just dump some in. im so glad it worked. i tell everyone i meet up our success.

Roselin responded:
    The only thing that has helped my daughter is Raw Shea butter baby eczema therapy w/ Arran oil & extracts of frankincense & myrrh which I found at target to bed bath and beyond. I'm just trying to find something for her scalp.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Living in the desert with a husband, a toddler, and a black lab.

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
    I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    11 of 22 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.