Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Pain after crowns
    An_248792 posted:
    I Had 2 lower molar crowns replaced as the others were too old. I now eexperience major jaw pain to the area but including the upper area jaw and ear. The dentist reexamined and xrayed and said my bite needed adjusting. Could this cause that much pain? I saw the dentist byesterday and am still in pain. Ibuprophen isn't helping.
    Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
    Dear An_248792,

    It is unfortunate that you went in for new work, and came out with a major problem. However this does happen. The question is: why?
    You have to trust your dentist to diagnose the problem and determine what needs to be done. Typically a bite adjustment by itself should not generate horrible pain. Most times people are just in discomfort.

    If your Doctor does not know the reason and the pain persist, I, whole hardly, recommend you to see a specialist for a second opinion. The specialist in this field is called a Prosthodontist and if you go to you can locate one near you.

    I wish you the best of luck.

    Dr. Zev Kaufman

    Helpful Tips

    Dentures and implantsExpert
    Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    24 of 34 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website