Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/arthritis/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

nobody's using the word helpless
    pokerface2 posted:
    i'm very surprised noone is saying they feel helpless. because of not being able to move, rotate and walk, run because of joint problems. i have horrible knee pain and i'm still fairly young. not 21 young but not 60 when you expect these things to surface. i feel handicap and i feel like crap, i park in handicap area though i don't have a decal. at any point in time along with my knee pain my back will start to bother me. it stinks when you can't do those necessary normal things like you used to!

valgirl responded:
    Hi, Im sorry your hurting . I can relate with everything your saying yes I feel HELPLESS and it sucks .
    What are you doing for your OA ...I would love to talk to you more ...Feel better

Donna NNJ

sharon0862 responded:
    I guess I'm late in posting (I see last post was 2 months ago, but I just joined this discussion)
    Anyway, I can definitely, definitely relate to the hopeless feeling about the loss of mobility when you are still young...I am 53. I have painful and debilitating arthritis in my knees and lower back for which nothing (physical therapy, injections, medication, etc.) has really helped. I lost over about 100 pounds and it made no difference whatsoever.

I think it's just helpful to know that there are others out there who are experiencing some of the same things you are and can understand what you're going through. Being able to talk about it and lend support to one another sometimes can be the best medicine. Please post if you'd like to "talk" some more. Hang in there and just take it a day at a time.

davedsel2 responded:
    Hello.

I am sorry you are feeling this way and fully understand. After managing chronic pain for over 40 years, I have learned how to keep a positive attitude by focusing on what is good in my life.

As the other poster replies, what are you doing for your osteoarthritis? Are you seeing an orthopedic surgeon and/or a rheumatologist? What medications are you taking? Are you keeping as active as possible?

There are many things you can do to manage your condition. There is always help and there is always hope.

I pray you find answers and relief soon.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

celia21 responded:
    I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees...it is hard to get thru most days without feeling overwhelmed...unless you have been thru this no one can understand so thank you for sharing. I have gotten a walker to help support when I walk..I used advil for years and gave myself an ulcer;;;it was the only way to get thru work....so had to quit my job...dealing with chronic pain is no fun...I will not take any opiate medications for fear of addiction. Two creams help at times...aspercreme with 4% lidocaine...(does not last long but takes edge off for awhile) and also penetrex . both are short term and last only a bit . The heating pad sometimes helps also...BUT yes it does make me feel helpless and sad often...Wishing you the best and thank you for posting.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.