Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/arthritis/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Daily Vinegar cocktail for Gout
    leonemarie posted:
    My 32 year old son has suffered with gout for the past 10 years. He takes the required medications and follows a restricted diet but still experiences flareups. It was recomended to him (by a friend) to drink a daily cocktail consisting of water, vinegar and baking soda. Less when no symptoms and more when symptoms are present. He has tried this and feeks that it is working. My question is just how safe is this treatment on and ongoing basis and is this treatment proven to work? Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

_swank_ responded:
    I would think twice before listening to your friend. He's better off talking to his doctor. We used to make mini-volcanoes out of a mixture of baking soda and vinegar when we were kids. I wouldn't drink a combination of the stuff.

ladelta responded:
    Vinegar and baking soda also makes a great drain cleaner! Now I had a friend that drank a shot glass full of apple cider vinegar every morning with her first cup of coffee (now that's an eye opener for sure) for her RA and she said that it helped! LA Delta

mike39095 responded:
    I know when the gout flairs-up, I probably would try anything to get releif. However, if he is being treated for the gout monster by a physician and it is gettting worse, ask about Alapurinol(sp). It lowers the production of uric acid in the body. Uric Acid is the culprit that produces the crystalite in the joints and causes the terrific pain and inflamation. Also, when eating, "if it tastes good, spit it out!" Mike

FredHavn responded:
    Hi. I have Gout and I treat it with "Bernard Jensen's Black Cherry Concentrate" and it works very good and I am almost problem free. No more pain. I buy it at Health Food Stores here in British Columbia,Canada. I recomend that you give it a try. Fred Havn. Norwegian :smile:

YumaMamaLama responded:
    Hi there. . . Well, it's possible that this combo doesn't hurt anything -- and if he feels it helps, that's a bonus. However, if he has any blood-pressure or heart problems, the baking soda isn't a good idea as it's sodium. Yes, combining the two -- vineagar and baking soda -- does make a big fizz -- it's because when the two are combined, a lot of carbon dioxide is given off. A lot of mention of drinking a vineagar solution daily is in folk and holistic medicine sources. It's usually recommended as a general health aid. Research is finding that vineagar can help keep blood sugars from spiking. The fellow who mentioned that cherry juice is helpful is on the right track. In natural healing info, it's the number one "cure." It can't be Juicy Juice cherry or anything like that. It has to be a good concentration of black cherries. If you can find dried black cherries, and if he likes dried fruit, some of those might do well. The juice isn't cheap -- though when a person is having gout pain, they generally don't care about cost. The person who mentioned allopurinol is right in describing its mechanism of action. However, lots of people can't take it because of being allergic to it. My hubby got an intensely-itching rash that took at least a couple of weeks to go away after he stopped taking the med. Anyone who's thinking of going on this med needs to read the cautions and possible side effects -- not to get scared away, but to be on the lookout for symptoms that might lead to problems even more serious than gout. My hubby has found that, in general, the way for him to prevent attacks is to take a prophyllactic dose of cochicine -- 0.6mg/day, I think -- keep well hydrated, and get enough rest. If he has a flare up, he's supposed to take more colchicine doses. If your son is not on this med regime, he might want to ask his doctor about it. One thing to keep in mind is that too much of NSAIDS can cause kindey failure. It's important to have the doctor order and keep track of your son's serum creatinine levels. I'm sure your son is being careful about not eating too much meat, etc., but has he seen the long list of all kinds of foods that should be avoided? Some of them are pretty surprising. Like asparagus!! The only veggie that my hubby actually likes, and now he has to have practically none of it. Good luck to your son. I know how very miserable the gout can be. YumaMamaLama

gout101 responded:
    if you husband has a allopurinol allergy there is a new drug called Uloric. He doesn't want to be on colchicine for the rest of his life. :smile:

Helpful Tips

what should i do
    sir my name is rajesh, I had an accident and my hip is broken Dr. had fitted rod, but after one year my hip is start paining Dr are telling ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.