Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Terrible Knee Pain
    An_266545 posted:
    Hi Eveyone-Saw bone Dr. had MRI/CT scan of hip down to knee. Told Severe osteoporsis. Terrible time walking and squatting. And given pain killers and told it will go away in months to a year. But the pain, as I told him seems to originate from the knee and not from the hip down to the knee. I am thinking wrong diagnosis and that it could be be knee osteoarhritis---but that would have shown up on the the MRI/CT scan? I just don't know.

bonebabe responded:
    To confirm osteoporosis, you should have a DXA scan. It'll give you more info than the MRI/CT for that. Also severe osteoporosis is defined as having a T-score greater/lower than -2.5 with the presence of a nonviolent fracture.

As for the pain...hip pain can certainly radiate to the knee. If you're having problems walking and squatting, it's probably arthritis which can show up on CT/MRI. It may also be that you need to do some routine stretching exercises. Ask your doctor about prescribing some PT for stretching and mobility.

Helpful Tips

Stretching and Swimming
    low impact and have found to be the two best activities for overall fitness More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website