Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Confused
    bonygirl posted:
    Help. I had Aplastic Anemia several years ago. For part I of the treatment, I was on prednisone. Now, 15 years later, I am told I have osteoporosis. Doctor recommends Fosomax. After reading about this medication, I am terrified to take it! Are there any alternatives to medications for this disease? I am at high risk or fracture of the femoral neck. I need to know the good and the bad of these medications. I am tired of reading from so many sites and am now confused. Hard decision to make. Also, I am now 60 years old.
    Thank you for any responses.

bonebabe responded:
    No. If you have osteoporosis, the only thing that will reduce your chances of fracturing is an approved RX. If you already know that you are at a high risk for fractures, then you should realize that any possible side effect of a medication is far less than your risk of fracturing. There are no guarantees with any medication of supplement. You have to weigh then benefits against the possibility of a side effect.

I would suggest that you go to the National Osteoporosis Foundation website for good factual information. They are the gold standard of all things osteoporosis. They have a section on all the medications showing what they're approved for, what they do and any documented reported side effects. It gets pretty confusing reading stuff on the internet and not knowing what is valid. The website is www.nof.org.

Remember too that with any medication you take, you also need to provide your body with 1200 mg of calcium each day and, if your Vit D levels are normal, 1000 IU of Vit D. Without these, any medication you take will not be effective.

Helpful Tips

Comment
    Good luck... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website