Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Evista
    day_ranch posted:
    I am 54 years old and had my yearly DXA scan. Since last year I've had a -14.3% change in my spine, -9.0 percent change in hips. The T-score of my spine is -3.5, Neck -2.5, hip -2.2. My doctor is recommending treatment now. He wanted to treat me last year but he let me try natural. I changed my eating by eating vegetables, fruits, meat and dropping most of the labeled processed foods and ended up losing 43 pounds. I did manage to get off all of my cholesterol medicine, etc. I just take vitamins, etc. now. I drink Whey to Go Protein drink and an Athletic Greens drink along with Vitamin D3 + K2 and 1200 mg. calcium daily. I've been doing weight bearing exercise and walking 3 miles a day since May of 2015. His choices for me are in this order: Prolia, Evista, Fosamax. I'm still researching but I feel like I've tried everything I can naturally and leaning towards the Evista even though I do not want to take pharma drugs. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on Evista or give me any other ideas on what I can do? Thank you!

bonebabe responded:
    Sure. All the drugs are good and are approved for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.

Your spine is your most fragile area now and your femoral neck is the area where most hip fractures occur. Your doctor is wise to put you on a med now.

Why are you having yearly DXA's? The recommendation is every two years because bone is so slow to respond to change - either increase or decrease.

The Evista is less effective than the Fosamax or Prolia. Our medical director in the osteoporosis center where I work is an osteoporosis expert and rheumatologist. She says Prolia should not be used unless all other available meds have been tried without success.

That leaves you with a bisphosphonate - Fosamax/Actonel/Boniva/Reclast. The purpose of any of these drugs is not necessarily to improve T-scores, but to reduce your risk of fracturing.

Continue your intake of 1200 mg of calcium each day (spread it out because the body can only absorb 500-600 mg at a time) and 2000 IU of Vit D.

A word of caution for you - avoid bending forward at the spine or twisting side to side of the spine. These repetitive movements can cause the tiny struts within the vertebra to break without you knowing it. When the last strut in the vertebra breaks, you'll have a compression fracture - you'll certainly know when that hits - and there's no going back.

Also, and FYI - there's NO natural way to improve bone density once you're past menopause and your numbers get as low as yours. Only a medication will do that. There's no shame in taking a medication that will help you continue to live and independent active life.

The best weight bearing exercise for you at this point is walking. We encourage our patients to be on their feet at least 4 hours a day. The walking recommendation is 30 minutes 3x/week. Every day is better. No jogging though. That pounds the bones in your spine causing tiny fractures.

Go to the National Osteoporosis Foundation website (www.nof.org) for more information if you want. They are the gold standard for all things osteoporosis and have a great section on the medications, uses, side effects and dosage.

sandykrom responded:
    I have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis for the second time. Six years ago is the first time. I was put on an infusion of reclast once a year. After four years I was taken off of it. Now, two years later I have osteoporosis again. My doctor told me that the reclast sped up the occurance of the return and that it has been found out that reclast, instead of making bones stronger just hardened the old damaged bone and therefore causes brittle bones. I did research on the internet and have found that Evista, reclast, actonel and fosamx are not recommended. I'm still researching and will not take anything until I get more info.

Helpful Tips

Comment
    Good luck... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website