Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Osteoporosis
    harkdotcom posted:
    This might have already been discussed. I am new here and am currently experiencing frequent broken bones, my ankle then 4 weeks later my ribs. They broke so easy! and I am only 53 yrs young! First let me tell you that for the past 45 years I have been a fitness buff, athelete, vegatarian etc.. I took great care and still do to eat a healthy calcium rich diet and I exercise daily. For the past 20 years I have been teaching and practicing karate. Last fall I was diagnosed with osteopenia but was never told. I am 6 years post menopausal. So now the question, how does one live an active life knowing that any of my bones can break at any time? I have been offered a position to teach 4 and 5 yr olds karate and work the front desk. I will not have much flexibility in calling out sick as I am the go to person for the karate program. Thanks, I really dont know who to ask or to talk to about this!!

bonebabe responded:
    A couple of things. First, you now have osteoporosis. The presence of a nontraumatic fracture gives you this diagnosis.

Second, osteopenia is not a diagnosis but simply means low bone density. It covers a lot of ground. You should have been put on a medication.

Third, you should not be doing any exercise that involves bending forward at the waist, twisting of the spine or pounding of the spine. What you'll be doing if you continue with these movements is to further fracture.

Your bone mass could be affected by several things. During your bone forming years, you may not have built up to your maximum bone density. Then when you hit menopause and you lose bone mass due to the loss of estrogen, you would have rapidly lost from your low supply of bone.

Or...it could be your genetic makeup if either of your parents broke a hip, lost height or had a diagnosis of osteoporosis.

Or...it could be your calcium absorption. The body cannot absorb more than 500-600 mg of calcium at a time. If you pack it in thinking you're getting a day's worth in one sitting, you won't be.

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? Do you take a Vit D supplement? Without Vit D, the calcium you do absorb will not go to the bones.

All that aside - what do you do now?

I'd suggest you go immediately to the National Osteoporosis Foundation website (www.nof.org) for a lot of verifiable information. The FAQ's are excellent. This is the gold standard for all things osteoporosis.

Then if none of the above reasons for your osteoporosis ring a bell, then talk to your doctor about your osteoporosis being secondary to something else going on - like Crohn's or IBS.

Immediately, restructure you daily activities to exclude the body movements I mentioned above. Karate would be a NoNo for you. Maybe as an advisor and go to person, but no active teaching. Front desk is fine. The website gives you more information on this in addition to illustrations on movements to make and to avoid.

Calcium - you need 1200 mg each day - taken several hours apart in portions not to exceed 600 mg. If you think you get enough from your diet, for a week monitor what you eat to determine your average intake. Read labels and portion sizes. If a label says 25% calcium, that's 250 mg. 30% is 300 mg. If you don't get 1200 mg on a daily basis, take a supplement.

Vit D. - Have your levels checked. You want >40 ng. Your doctor may give you a booster dose of 50,000 IU for a couple of months, then a maintenance dose of 2000 IU thereafter.

Medication - A must for you. Don't think you can combat this naturally. Won't work and you'll just lose more bone and have more fractures while you wait to see if your natural ways work. There is No Natural Way to strengthen bones once you start breaking like you have. There's no shame in taking a medication if you need it.

If you have stomach issues, you might want to avoid an oral med. Reclast is excellent. It's an annual injection given in a medical setting and is covered by your health insurance, not drug insurance. Keep in mind that no medication will work without adequate calcium and vitamin D.

The medications don't guarantee you won't fracture again. What they do is slow down the bone resorption process, giving your body a chance to catch up the bone production. They reduce your risk for having another fracture. It's the only hope you'll have of not experiencing another life altering fracture.

You're too young to lose your independence and lifestyle. Don't wait any longer to take the steps you need. Look at the website and don't get sidetracked by other internet sites that aren't legit. It can get confusing.

Hope this helps you at least know where to start.

Helpful Tips

Comment
    Good luck... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website